Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Why not a higher end line of clothes?

It would be nice if management at QVC would allow Louis to bring some more expensive clothing to his line. He said a few years ago that his hands were tied and often he would like to bring something different to his line but he had to have a certain price point.

I would love a pretty cashmere sweater from Louis or a nice wool coat. I have a pink one but it is years ago since I purchased it and my size is different....

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 

But how many shoppers here would pay $375 for that lovely cashmere sweater or $1200 for that wool coat?  That's the point Louis was trying to make.  Sure, he can design things like that but QVC can't sell things like that.  I remember a few weeks ago there was thread because tons of people thought $100 was too much to pay for cotton blouse.

Trusted Contributor

Clothing is different from handbags and jewelry in that it requires an exacting fit. QVC sells clothing designed to fit the greatest number of consumers, ie. elastic waistbands, fit and flare tops and dresses, and semi-fit clothes in general. Rarely do you see a tailored blazer, pencil skirt, or set-in waistband on garments of any fabric. Now add to the difficulty of fit the difficulty and cost of care for silk, wool, and cashmere, and you have a recipe for limited sales at best and far too many returns. Not to mention the considerable cost in materials when those items are offered in up to 3X.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

It would be nice if management at QVC would allow Louis to bring some more expensive clothing to his line. He said a few years ago that his hands were tied and often he would like to bring something different to his line but he had to have a certain price point.

I would love a pretty cashmere sweater from Louis or a nice wool coat. I have a pink one but it is years ago since I purchased it and my size is different....

@Trinity11 

If it doesn't have to be from Louis, every November Nordstoms has great cashmere sweaters for $40 or so. Button downs, turtle necks, jewel necks, in all kinds of colors. Two ply - washes nicely, no pilling.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Trinity11 

But how many shoppers here would pay $375 for that lovely cashmere sweater or $1200 for that wool coat?  That's the point Louis was trying to make.  Sure, he can design things like that but QVC can't sell things like that.  I remember a few weeks ago there was thread because tons of people thought $100 was too much to pay for cotton blouse.

Good point @chrystaltree  but a girl can dream...

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have seen post here over time complaining about garments arriving wrinkled.  There are also reviews complaining about the same thing.  Clothes are actually returned because these people are not sophisticated enough to use a steamer or iron.  Linen will always wrinkle, but is fabulous.  Same with a cotton blouse.  While some customers would love these options, I think it would create more complaints and returns because too many people think clothes shouldn't require any care other than a spin through the washer and dryer.  Natural fabrics are also more money, and it is not something everyone understands.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I want something "good" I go to the store.   Shopping online is only for every day clothes.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@this is my nic.  The are places to buy the items you describe, but I don't think it would appeal to the masses needed for successful TV sales.  You must sell a lot of an an item to make it cost effective.  Haven't you heard the constant references by hosts to the number of units sold?  There are constant complaints now about high prices; imagine what theyd be like with cashmere and silk.

@Kachina624   Isaac oftentimes has cashmere and the awfulest designs.  Why not just a plain old cashmere cardigan that is made en masse and able to sell at a reasonable price  like the high-end department stores do near Christmas.  I recall Precious Fibers.  I still have some of those lovely items and still wear them and they still look good.  I have several of LDO's silk blouses that I have had for years and a boiled wool suit with satin that appears to be leather at the godets.  I have a pretty Elisabeth Hesselbeck poly blouse that looks identical to silk.  There are ways to get good looking items that look high end without all the massive items that look like they all came from the big box stores.

Honored Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper wrote:

Sometimes shopping at QVC is like a treasure hunt--you have to search and wait and shop and compare!

First, Bob Mackie used to sell beautiful silk blouses  (and pants and scarves), and I purchased a few.  But he did say on air the cost of silk had become too high for him to use it any more.  Many high end department stores no longer carry silk either, and those that do have silk clothes with very, very high prices.

Regarding cashmere, Isaac Mizrahi usually offers superb cashmere sweaters at great prices a few time a year.  This year his little cashmere hats and gloves were at give-away prices during the clearance period.

Wool sweaters are always available during the Irish specials.

Many vendors offer luxurious (polyester) velvet pants.  Dennis Basso's faux fur coats designs are a great substitute for the real thing. Polyester lace clothes are an easy-wear alternative to cotton lace (which can stain easily).

Finally, it is not just the fabric, but also the design that creates the concept of "higher end."

@FancyPhillyshopper  I have recently given away a beautiful crepe de chine silk blouse from Bob Mackie collection that had a large tiger meticulously embroidered in matching silk threads on the back with a pop collar and gathered waist tie.  Gorgeous top.  I hated to give it away but I held it for years hoping to fit in it and never happened so I gave it to someone who admired it for a long time.

Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

I agree, but every time a higher end handbag or shoe line is offered, posters start numerous threads about “who in their right mind would spend so much $$$” on such items.  

They also post similar comments about tops that cost about $50 or so. 

@september   Posters need to use common sense and realize that there are shoppers here that want low ball prices on a shopping channel and when that does not happen they settle for like merchandise with big box store prices.  I think those are the shoppers who use the pressure from their numbers to force QVC into sellling low priced items of lower quality.  If QVC would give good merchandise a chance, I think they would see it would sell.  It sold with Lisa.  It could sell again.  But I just don't think Jill Martin has the savvy to sell the posh items. She is a wonderful person and a lovely girl but she does not have that elegance about her that Lisa had that is required to sell that price.  I know Jill comes from a much wealthier background than Lisa, but DNA is not everything.