Respected Contributor

Why not a higher end line of clothes?

When G I L I was first introduced I thought it was going to be a more luxurious line with garments made of silk, fine wool, cashmere, etc.  The line falls short because they use the same old fabric all the other lines use.   There are cashmere items at Christmas, but after that it's the same old polyester and spandex. Of course, the luxurious items will be more expensive and they won't sell millions of them, but it would be wonderful to have the option to purchase truly fine pieces. 

Every now and then the Q has aspirational jewelry, just a few pieces and they sell.  Why not do the same with fashion?

Not all QVC shoppers long for another pair of pull-on pants and polyester tops.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Why not a higher end line of clothes?

[ Edited ]

@this is my nic.  The are places to buy the items you describe, but I don't think it would appeal to the masses needed for successful TV sales.  You must sell a lot of an an item to make it cost effective.  Haven't you heard the constant references by hosts to the number of units sold?  There are constant complaints now about high prices; imagine what theyd be like with cashmere and silk.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I was very disappointed in the fall/winter items for leather real and faux. Nothing much new at all. Maybe next season?

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@this is my nic GILI also had a good influence on the line at one time, Lisa Robinson.  When she left, the line took a nose dive in quality and style in my opinion.  I have what appears to be the last item Lisa influenced, a white leather coat done in strips of leather.  It's extremely comfortable and I love it.  Everyone wants it when I wear it.

Respected Contributor

Sometimes shopping at QVC is like a treasure hunt--you have to search and wait and shop and compare!

First, Bob Mackie used to sell beautiful silk blouses  (and pants and scarves), and I purchased a few.  But he did say on air the cost of silk had become too high for him to use it any more.  Many high end department stores no longer carry silk either, and those that do have silk clothes with very, very high prices.

Regarding cashmere, Isaac Mizrahi usually offers superb cashmere sweaters at great prices a few time a year.  This year his little cashmere hats and gloves were at give-away prices during the clearance period.

Wool sweaters are always available during the Irish specials.

Many vendors offer luxurious (polyester) velvet pants.  Dennis Basso's faux fur coats designs are a great substitute for the real thing. Polyester lace clothes are an easy-wear alternative to cotton lace (which can stain easily).

Finally, it is not just the fabric, but also the design that creates the concept of "higher end."

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@this is my nic.  The are places to buy the items you describe, but I don't think it would appeal to the masses needed for successful TV sales.  You must sell a lot of an an item to make it cost effective.  Haven't you heard the constant references by hosts to the number of units sold?  There are constant complaints now about high prices; imagine what theyd be like with cashmere and silk.

@Kachina624, odd I see the exact same argument (there are places to buy the items...) used for people asking for other items like cheaper purses.  If $400 purses sell, I don't see why more expensive clothing wouldn't sell.  I won't be buying either though.

I figured the reference to the number of units sold was 1. to entice the consumer with look how popular this item is, and 2. better get yours now before it sells out.  I wouldn't expect the consumer to be interested in how much money QVC is making.

Honored Contributor

I agree, but every time a higher end handbag or shoe line is offered, posters start numerous threads about “who in their right mind would spend so much $$$” on such items.  

They also post similar comments about tops that cost about $50 or so. 

Honored Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

When G I L I was first introduced I thought it was going to be a more luxurious line with garments made of silk, fine wool, cashmere, etc.  The line falls short because they use the same old fabric all the other lines use.   There are cashmere items at Christmas, but after that it's the same old polyester and spandex. Of course, the luxurious items will be more expensive and they won't sell millions of them, but it would be wonderful to have the option to purchase truly fine pieces. 

Every now and then the Q has aspirational jewelry, just a few pieces and they sell.  Why not do the same with fashion?

Not all QVC shoppers long for another pair of pull-on pants and polyester tops.  

I think there are high end clothing stores on line that you can purchase from..  You don't have to wait for Q.

Honored Contributor

@this is my nic 

Suggested this several times to QVC.  At least a show a few hours every few months devoted to higher end natural fabrics. 

I think the reason might be Reviews and returns.  Ladies complain about itchy fabrics...cashmere, wool, and wrinkles...anything with linen, even cotton, needing to be ironed.  Buyers seem to be looking for wash and wear...that's pretty much polyester.

Louis Dell'Olio said he will never offer linen again because too many complained about wrinkles and returned their orders.

There also have been complaints about Tencel or lyocell wrinkling.  

QVC began selling new higher end lines this year, mostly jackets and coats. Look up Badgley Mischka, Gallery, Avec Les Filles, and Bagatelle.  A $400 Mischka coat sold out online within a few days of being offered. 

Isaac has quite a few pieces of cashmere online...on sale now.

There are customers who will buy higher end clothing, just not enough of them, I guess.

Honored Contributor

Looking for higher end line of clothes? Shop your local b&m stores! Online shopping isn't the only way to shop. I find my favorite, unique clothes at several local boutiques. I get good prices and very nice, different looking clothing. Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"