Honored Contributor

Re: Why is everything so expensive now?

@AutumnJan wrote:

I have always been able to afford QVC...but now I can't. Just about everything clothing wise is over $40.00 for a top. It makes me so sad that I can't afford a simple top now. 

@AutumnJan

Well, then, shop elsewhere.  If you include shipping and tax, that $40 top costs $50!!   

There are a LOT of stores that want your business .... and QVC is NOT the only game in town.  

Honored Contributor

I agree with you about pricing.  I have been looking for a simple boyfriend shirt on line and they are about $40,00.  I think I will go to Kohls or target.  Now I am only purchasing things on line that I know I cannot get anywhere else.  I know I can find a boyfriend shirt just about anywhere for less than 40.00 dollars.  I usually just purchase a piece of jewelry usually from Evine, I have a few pieces from Q, some from HSN.  I have not purchased clothing from Q in over 2 years.  I remember I liked something that Lisa Renna had and the price was $79.00 WOW.  Some people just out price themselves. LOL.  I am sure you will find nice things where you live that are afordable and reasonable.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Expensive, really?  Those shorts the Q was selling the other day.  They were under $50.00.  Just today a saw a cute short, short from J Brand.  Delightful bleaching and little rips. They wanted $168.00.  Have you shopped in good department stores lately?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I hope you are kidding about comparing J BRand shorts vs the TSV shorts. Did you even read the description on both items. What are you getting for $30.00 plus versus $168.00. You have to compare apple to apple to evaluate the price and quality of an item.

• Fabrication: denim
  • Hardware: zipper with button front closure
  • Features: Bermuda length; five-pocket design, belt loops
  • Rise: slightly below the waist
  • Fit: fitted; cut to follow the lines of the body
  • Leg Shape: straight leg
  • Inseam: missy/plus inseam 11"
  • Content: 98% cotton/2% spandex
  • Care: machine wash, tumble dry
  • Imported

Denim and Co specs:

J Brand Specs:

• Bermuda Short
  • Mid-Rise
  • 16-Inch Leg Opening
  • 12.5-Inch Rolled Inseam
  • 11.5-Ounce Indigo Comfort Stretch
  • 98% Cotton, 2% Elastane
  • Made in USA

There are so many differences, i.e. made in USA, weight of the denim. You get what you pay. I used to shop at Macy's when I worked and bought Jones of New York, Ralph Lauren, Gucci etc. So I know qualtiy from ******. Now that I am retired I don't need to have that type of wardrobe so I spend quite a bit less.

Respected Contributor

I Agree!!!! I wear 2x QVC really fits me, but I can't justify spending $40.-$60. for an "average" top. 

Honored Contributor

@elated wrote:

I hope you are kidding about comparing J BRand shorts vs the TSV shorts. Did you even read the description on both items. What are you getting for $30.00 plus versus $168.00. You have to compare apple to apple to evaluate the price and quality of an item.

• Fabrication: denim
  • Hardware: zipper with button front closure
  • Features: Bermuda length; five-pocket design, belt loops
  • Rise: slightly below the waist
  • Fit: fitted; cut to follow the lines of the body
  • Leg Shape: straight leg
  • Inseam: missy/plus inseam 11"
  • Content: 98% cotton/2% spandex
  • Care: machine wash, tumble dry
  • Imported

Denim and Co specs:

J Brand Specs:

• Bermuda Short
  • Mid-Rise
  • 16-Inch Leg Opening
  • 12.5-Inch Rolled Inseam
  • 11.5-Ounce Indigo Comfort Stretch
  • 98% Cotton, 2% Elastane
  • Made in USA

There are so many differences, i.e. made in USA, weight of the denim. You get what you pay. I used to shop at Macy's when I worked and bought Jones of New York, Ralph Lauren, Gucci etc. So I know qualtiy from ******. Now that I am retired I don't need to have that type of wardrobe so I spend quite a bit less.

Lol.  I was being facetious anyway.  I typed this wearing 3X1 jeans.  Yeah, I wear any denim made in America.  If I pay $265.00 (the most I've spent on jeans) so be it.  There is quite a difference. But I own Rag & Bone, 3X1, R13, 7 For All Mankind, Citizens for Humanity. J Brand The list is endless.  Here's a Bermuda short from J Brand

All shorts average over $100.00 but not as expensive obviously as a full length jean.

Regular Contributor

I have a weakness for Bob Mackie's line, and every once in a while I'll get something from Denim & Co., but most of my pants are Diane Gilman, and most of my tops come from Evine. Their clearance prices are insane.
Honored Contributor

@AutumnJan  To answer the question in your thread title - it's so QVC can make more money.   A very simple answer.

QVC came across as doing us a "favor" by reducing S&H charges when it decided not to refund our S&H charges any more when we return an item, but at that time it also rasied its prices a lot, apparently to compensate for the S&H price reduction.  So QVC isa making more money at both ends; by not refunding S&H charges with returns, and by having raised prices on almost everything.

Respected Contributor

The only line I buy now is Linea. I know the fit and the fabric. And some things are replacements for his items I've worn to death. It's annoying to see three dollars here and there added even to clearance items.

Respected Contributor

I'm always sad to read that QVC is a lifeline for some shoppers.  I would be miserable!  I'm thinking that if you can use a computer, you can compare prices online and find a range you're comfortable with.  Dept stores are the best deals, but if you are homebound, you can still find the deals from tons of retailers.  Keep in mind, prices in general, are up.  Sorry.