Valued Contributor

Re: Why do wear a bra to bed?

I am larger busted but do not wear a bra to bed.  I can't wait to take the darn thing off after a certain time at night.  I only wear a bra to bed if I am staying over with some friends and do not want the girls hanging. 

I have worn an underwire and a better bra for years.  Just holds me up better.

I wished I could have a breast reduction and checked it out several years ago when I was much younger but insurance wouldn't  pay unless you reduced to a certain size. The size I would be was too small in my book. I am 60 and would like smaller and lifted but not going to worry about it any more.  I am too afraid to do it now.

Honored Contributor

When i had breast surgery following lumpectomy I had to wear a bra 24/7 for several weeks. Most uncomfortable thing ever!!! 

Respected Contributor

I think those women with big busts or those with, shall we say, older busts (less firm) wear sleep bras. 

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@busygirl wrote:

I am larger busted but do not wear a bra to bed.  I can't wait to take the darn thing off after a certain time at night.  I only wear a bra to bed if I am staying over with some friends and do not want the girls hanging. 

I have worn an underwire and a better bra for years.  Just holds me up better.

I wished I could have a breast reduction and checked it out several years ago when I was much younger but insurance wouldn't  pay unless you reduced to a certain size. The size I would be was too small in my book. I am 60 and would like smaller and lifted but not going to worry about it any more.  I am too afraid to do it now.

@busygirl

I would HIGHLY recommend it.  

It has the highest satisfaction rate among all cosmetic surgeries.

I had a breast reduction (yes, insurance paid) when I was 40.  

It. Was. The. Best. Thing. Ever.

I was heavier before surgery.  That definitely had something to do with the size of my breasts.  Post-surgery, I was much, much more active & had better self-esteem.  Pairing that with my way of eating, the weight just peeled off.  This surgery was a launching pad for better health..best thing ever!   

Plus...shhh, don't tell anyone...with my reduction and weight loss, I was able to go bra less for the first time ever!  WHAAAA?  Not all the time (!), but after working out, I could take off my jog bra, throw on a sweatshirt and walk out of the gym without frightening small children..Hee! 

I, too, never could understand the 'wear a bra at night' bit.  There's no gravity, so don't know how that factors in to the pain issue.  But if they are that painful, heavens, do something about it!  If not, I do have to say losing weight reduces the size of breast tissue immensely!  If they are that painful, reduction of body weight would reduce the pain.

Honored Contributor

i have 53 year old 38DDs......no way would i wear a regular bra to bed. i DO occasionally wear a tank or camisole with a shelf bra to bed. i like not feeling too constricted while i am sleeping and i am a stomach sleeper.....sometimes a side.

if i have to run out of the house for any type of disaster will i really be thinking that everyone is looking at my chest? i doubt it.......

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I only wear a bra when I am outside the house, never in the house, unless there are visitors in the house. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can  not stand the feeling of a bra on at night while sleeping... even the genie sports type bras that stretch are uncomfortable.  I am a 36 barely a "B" cup... so maybe that is why I can get away with out wearing a bra. 

Trusted Contributor

I don't wear a bra to bed because I don't need to. I'm a 36C so there's not much there to support or sag.

Esteemed Contributor

I was wearing a bra to bed for a while but stopped. I had a lumpectomy (just a lump, no cancer) removed and if I did any heavy lifting that side would ache. I also used to wear underwire bras and they too hurt. I stopped wearing underwire bras totally and no more pain in that area. I don't know what happened but now I just wear ahh bras or something similar.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I could see it because of breast size.  If you could get away without wearing one during the day, it's not an issue for you.