Valued Contributor

I don't "get" why you would wear a bra to bed --- You're lying down -whether you're a back sleeper, or a side sleeper or a curled up ball sleeper- what good does a bra do when you're sleeping? It's not gravity pulling you down like when you're standing up. (which I'm assuming most women wear them for- at least that's why I wear one- that and modesty-- but for sleeping? Why? And here's another question--- underwire bras-- someone please explain how a tiny thin piece of plastic or wire at your ribcage can possibly make a difference to "lift" the rest of you up?

Respected Contributor

Re: Why do wear a bra to bed?

I know for me -  around that time of the month - my girls would get quite quite heavy and full - I started sleeping with a bra on and it helped  quite a bit - I guess just holding them in made all the difference.

I have actually heard of women sleeping with a bra on in case of a fire - well now, I think that is ridiculous... With all those good looking fire fighter men out there... Woman Wink

-Texas Hill Country-
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The only time I've ever worn a bra to bed was after I had open heart surgery in 1988.  Due to my sternum being split & wired back together, sleeping on my side was painful for several months.  I slept sort of propped up on pillows for a little bit, but when I finally laid down flat in bed on my back, the weight of my breasts pulling to each side, pulled on my sternum & was painful, so I wore a bra to bed for awhile to take the weight off of my sternum. It's been so long ago, I don't really remember how long, though.

The only person at that time I knew that had heart surgery was a male neighbor who had had bypass & obviously, sleeping on his back wasn't a problem for him!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been sleeping with a bra since I was 23 years old. This is when I fully developed and went from about a 34B to a 32DD or 32DDD depending on the bra. Sleeping with a bra especially around the time of the month was the only way I found relief as someone else mentioned from the weight and heaviness of one breast on the other. I spent so many restless nights in agony before I realized that sleeping with a bra was the solution. 

To this day, I must sleep with a bra otherwise I can't sleep. Interestingly, I just read an article recently that said that sleeping with a bra helps prevent wrinkles from forming on the decolletage. Good to know. 

In my experience having a large chest, only an underwire bra for the most part is able to give me the support I need. The difference is its ability to support and lift the weight of a full bust. A bra without an underwire is not able to lift and give me the support I need. As a result, it is not as comfortable as an underwire bra for me. My size is hard to find so bras for me are usually expensive. An underwire also makes the bra have more longevity IMO. Thankfully, I'm now able to find Wacoal bras and other good brands at Marshalls or TJ Maxx in my size

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

Earthquakes.........everybody goes outside to check on the neighbors

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Anyone asking that question has to be small busted to not get it.  For comfort of course!!  I'm a size 12 and 40DD and even when thinner - well they just get in the way and are uncomfortable.  Even at 63, I am not sagging much and I think it's because I nearly always wear a bra to bed so they don't hang at night.  I don't wear an underwire to bed but Rhonda Shear racer back bras.  Without an underwire, I would look like they were huge and much lower which isn't a good look for someone larger busted!   I need to buy really good bras that are well fitted so the underwire is not uncomfortable at all.  I won't wear any old bra and the ones I have are oh so comfortable.  The only way a bra is uncomfortable is if it doesn't fit right.  I always wished I were smaller so I wouldn't have to but you do what works for your own comfort.

Honored Contributor

@aubnwa01

I could certainly understand you wearing a bra then if it gave you some relief and helped pain.  I am sure that was no picknick, to be sure!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Regular Contributor

Absolutely for comfort!  I'm a back sleeper (99% of the time) and when you lay down they fall off to each side, certainly don't stay front and center.  If I sleep without one the next morning I am so sore!  I had slept with a bra on for as long as I can remember, last year had a reduction, down two cup sizes, and still sleep with one one. I thought I wouldn't need to, but its still much more comfortable for me. No more underwires thank goodness however. Went from a DD to a small C.  While they are nice and perky and no longer sag, I won't give them the opportunity by sleeping without a bra.  Chances are if you're an A or B cup, you won't understand this and probably won't have issues with sagging. Consider yourselves lucky. If I could have gone to a smaller cup size than a C I would have!

Honored Contributor

In my lifetime, I have been morbidly obese, BUT HOWEVER HEFTY I HAVE EVER BEEN, 

upstairs, I am ALWAYS teeny tiny.

I had surgery about 20 years ago (benign by the Grace of God), and had to wear a bra 24/7 until my stitches were removed, and it drove me crazy.

I frequently remind myself that there are certain advantages to being a B cup.

I absolutely understand the problems of being larger. Every woman must decide these needs for her own situation.

Honored Contributor

Other then running out in the middle of the night (you never know)  I've never worn a bra to sleep in.  Now I'll take a nap in one because it's under my clothes.  I'm waiting for the question.  Do you sleep with your shoes on?