Esteemed Contributor

Why counterfeit streetwear is so popular in S. Korea

There's an interesting article linked from The Business of Fashion about how counterfeit streetwear is so popular, especially in South Korea.

The video link from Highsnobiety embedded in the article is also a fun watch. Who knew that Champion would be one of the most coveted brands in that country? It's also fun to people watch the fashion, hair, and makeup as there's a certain tribal uniformity in those street fashions.

https://www.businessoffashion.com/articles/news-analysis/highsnobiety-releases-documentary-on-south-...

Why South Korea Is the Home of Counterfeit Culture

Respected Contributor

Re: Why counterfeit streetwear is so popular in S. Korea

When my mom and dad were stationed in South Korea she used to send me clothes with the Nordstrom label in them.  This was in the 80's.  She also sent me Reebok shoes, where they used to be manufactured,  for my daughter in grade school.  Everything was very well made. 

Honored Contributor

It's actually bad business to purchase counterfeit goods on so many levels. 

Esteemed Contributor

I've been to Korea, and there's nothing they can't copy. They have one of the biggest open markets, E-te-wan, I've ever been to. practice up on your negotiating skills before you get there.

Respected Contributor

While there will always be a market for counterfeit goods..I wouldn't contribute to it. Read about the knock-off market etc. it is often connected to organized crime, human trafficking - women and children among some of the things they are involved in. If I couldn't afford the real thing - oh well..buying knock-offs is not just breaking the law and trademarks. People work hard to earn their name and label..if the real items are not in the budget find something that is...to me it is basically stealing from the true trademark owner.