Respected Contributor

Why are they calling turquoise "teal" now?

I've noticed this more and more lately. To me, teal is darker and maybe a little greener, almost like mallard. Anyone else notice this?
Respected Contributor

Re: Why are they calling turquoise ""teal"" now?

The Vionic TSV sandals they have on right now are offered in teal but to me, that's definitely turquoise.
Honored Contributor

Sometimes the names of the colors don't match what the color looks like. It's one of the great mysteries of those that assign the color name. I go by what I see.
Honored Contributor

I think they should buy a big box of Crayolas and study the names of the colors. That's what I have always gone by.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor

I've notice this too!! So many times I've thought, this is not teal, it is aqua or turquoise. Do they think those color names are outdated and hence, the 'teal?' A color is a color and no matter what you call it, it's still that color, lol.

Yes, I understand teal to be more of a mallard color, a more murky blue/green.

Respected Contributor

On 4/4/2015 Desertdi said:

I think they should buy a big box of Crayolas and study the names of the colors. That's what I have always gone by.

LOL
Esteemed Contributor

Shopping channels should be using Pantone to correctly name the colors of items that they are selling. TSC in Canada is also bad at this and will name items colors that they definitely are not and once an item is listed as one color it cannot be changed. Not only are items not correctly named but the photos don't show the true colors either as they are enhanced or photoshopped.

Esteemed Contributor

Susan Graver once explained a little about the dilemma of color names on clothing (don't know about shoes). She said the people who give the garments a color name may only get a very small swatch of the fabrics, not an entire garment. Especially in any kind of print, they may not even get a swatch that has the predominant color in it. For the solids, my best guess would be that a small swatch could possibly look different than if you had the whole garment in front of you, i.e., what kind of lighting, etc.

I know that often the studio lights are so bright that they make colors look different on screen than they are when you get them home.

ETA: I was very disappointed once when I ordered a striped Liz Claiborne tee shirt that was supposed to be khaki and "peachy coral" as Linda Davies described it. I thought from what I was seeing on the TV and on my computer screen that it would be perfect for a pair of coral colored jeans I got from D&Co. I even held the jeans up next to the TV screen when they were showing it, and then up next to my computer screen with it paused on that color! But when I got it home, it was a light peach, and didn't even come close to matching my coral jeans. I really liked it, but it was supposed to be specifically for those jeans, so I sent it back. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Honored Contributor

Blues and greens also don't always "read" accurately on TV cameras.

Several years ago, I was in a studio audience for The Mike Douglas Show and one of the guests was Michelle Stafford .... beautiful red hair and she was wearing the most stunning turquoise silk dress ..... and on the TV cameras (and later on TV at home when I watched the show), the dress was an anemic pale blue, almost white .... I'm sure she thought it would look great, and the color looked just awful! {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Super Contributor

Actually, LR was on top of this, always correcting the name of the colors v.s. the 'actual' garment color. She was really adept at this, and could fly through an entire presentation rambling off the correct colors in seconds. It really helped. She did this with the Dooneys as well. She had both a keen eye for color and color vocabulary.

Computers and television are not color's best friend, and the (sometimes) mislabeling can add to the confusion.