Frequent Contributor

Why are the dresses so short?

The Liz Claiborne dress that was on PM Style earlier looked horrible on the lady representing the company (her name may be Carol Ann?). Why are most all of the maxi dresses dragging the floor and the shorter dresses are so far above the knee? It looked like the dress barely covered her rear. All the QVC designers make the dresses short - Susan Graver, Bob Mackie, Isaac, etc. Ok by me, it's less money I spend. I just don't understand. I would guess most of the customers of QVC are women 45 and over, and I wouldn't think most of them would want dresses so short. Is it just me? Thanks for letting me vent. I've been shopping QVC for over 15 years.

Respected Contributor

Re: Why are the dresses so short?

I hear you. I am the same way. I like dresses knee length or longer because I am always worrying when they are shorter. It must be the style now. I will just save my money.
Super Contributor

I haven't seen the LC dress you're referring to, so I can't offer commentary there. However, to respond to your question - I would guess that there's a market out there for these lengths (otherwise the vendor wouldn't keep selling them).

IMO, most of the short skirts I've seen have still been an appropriate length - particularly because I'm only 5'2", and they would appear much longer on me. I think the skirts also look shorter on the models because they are taller than the average woman.

Respected Contributor

I think shorter dresses are the style this year. Have you noticed how short shorts are? From last summer to this year the difference is dramatic. Never thought I'd see the return of the high waisted short shorts of my youth!

Honored Contributor

I didn't think they were that short.

Honored Contributor

And most of the pants are too short for the models wearing them. And then they wear four inch heels that accentuate the problem.

Trusted Contributor

If the dresses are above the 5'10" models knees, I know they will be too long on my 5'4" body. I like my hemlines just above or a little above the knee. Most of the maxis would be too long on me. I agree that the pants are often too short on the models and the high heels are overkill.
Frequent Contributor

Same thing in the brick & mortars; extremely short headlines. Granted, I am 5' 10", but it seems the dresses are way too short, especially when you sit down. Really struggling to buy new dresses for church, and special occasions.

Super Contributor

On 7/14/2014 Colonel Meow said:

I haven't seen the LC dress you're referring to, so I can't offer commentary there. However, to respond to your question - I would guess that there's a market out there for these lengths (otherwise the vendor wouldn't keep selling them).

IMO, most of the short skirts I've seen have still been an appropriate length - particularly because I'm only 5'2", and they would appear much longer on me. I think the skirts also look shorter on the models because they are taller than the average woman.

I'm 5'0" so I totally agree. A few years ago I found a super cute dress that was an inch or two above the knee in the juniors section. A few months later I saw some girls in their twenties wearing the different colors and prints of it. My dress was a tunic Smiley Surprised
Valued Contributor

I am 5' 3" so I don't find the dresses this year too short. I have purchased three of Isaac's tee shirt dresses and love the way they look. I do wear Jockey skimmies under them and feel I look appropriate. I am a grandmother, BTW, and don't feel short dresses look too young for me.