Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why are pockets put on the chest?

Chest pockets brings back a memory in the 70s when I had a coworker ask me if I carried snacks in those pockets to feed my chest!  Those were the days when sexual harassment abounded well before the Me Too movement.  We've come a long way!  Needless to say I never buy tops with chest pockets.  

Honored Contributor

@Biftu wrote:

Chest pockets brings back a memory in the 70s when I had a coworker ask me if I carried snacks in those pockets to feed my chest!  Those were the days when sexual harassment abounded well before the Me Too movement.  We've come a long way!  Needless to say I never buy tops with chest pockets.  

@Biftu 

I remember those days well when upper management thought it was perfectly acceptable to talk about your body and/or just make sexual innuendo.

the regional supervisor of our company, that I ran into outside of work with my boyfriend, told him to "treat her well Because I've told her that she can put her shoes under my bed anytime!" I was speechless!!

My apologies to the OP for going so far off-topic

Honored Contributor

@ECBG    You actually use a seam ripper for opening seams???????    I pull the bobbin thread, and it's much faster.    

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

For my everyday shirts, I prefer a pocket.  If I have one, I use it.  Pockets in pants are an absolute necessity for me. 

If you want to talk about "why?".... why are there thumb holes in cuffs?  That's a real head-scratcher to me.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Shirts like denim, broadcloth, linen, etc., I don't mind chest pockets, and sometimes they add to the design (if the right size and placement).

However, I would never buy a knit top or any t-shirt, with a chest pocket.  Never.

Esteemed Contributor

I am not a chest pocket person at all.  Seems silly as it would look ridiculous (on me at least) to have things stuffed in a chest pocket.  Hubby on the other hand always wants one for his reading glasses.  I think it's much more suitable for men.  As far as the thumb holes in tops statement (LOL)  I always wondered the same thing and while I do admit I have a couple for very cold days when I am inside or especially out anywhere under the current circumstances, I roll them up as I feel it just picks up more germs!

Honored Contributor

@tototwo @LindaSal 

the thumb holes, although an interesting/fun look, feels ackward and not just a little uncomfortable.

I roll mine too.

Honored Contributor

Maybe it's a nod to boyfriend jeans, boyfriend sweaters, and so men's tailored, pockets on chest shirts. I prefer them not being there. If I want to wear a sweater on top, it causes lumps and bumps.