Super Contributor

Why are pockets put on the chest?

Never understand this. I always need to use my little embroidery scissors to clip them off. They really aren't needed are they?

Honored Contributor

Re: Why are pockets put on the chest?

[ Edited ]

I've wondered about that myself.  The pockets would hardly be useful - for most people anyway.

Maybe they're there for the same reason Quacker Factory emblazons designs across the chest. 

Respected Contributor

Some of us like them. I’m small busted so the more pockets, layers, gathering, etc the better! I don’t buy button style shirts without them, just more flattering, 

Respected Contributor

I don't like pockets either. 

Honored Contributor

Back in the olden days, pockets on the chest were very useful. As a child, I would notice that grandpa/grandma would put their eye glasses in them (and even further back before I was born men could put the monocle in them!) when not needed. Later on they would use the cord that went around the neck to hold onto their glasses when not immediately needed.

If the pockets are deep enough, you could put your pen in them, small amounts of cash, those small tickets that you would get for rides at the fair, etc. 

Many, many uses for those pockets long ago. 

If I have a top with a pocket on it now, I find it useful for my security pass at work, which I need in order to enter different buildings on the site. 

Honored Contributor

@darkhomespun     Buy a seam ripper.....it will make your job easier!

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I’d prefer no pockets on most tops. I don’t mind thin flat chest pockets on a button front shirt, especially is it’s a plaid pattern. The ones I really don’t like are the chest pockets with zippers. That design detail just leaves me wondering why. I like chest pockets on some jean & leather jackets. Just depends on how they look with the rest of the jacket. Generally, I don’t like bulky pockets that stick out or stand away from my body. 

Honored Contributor

My husband's style preference is button down shirts and they have to have pockets! I don't find them as practical on my shirts but sometimes they add visual interest. I do have to have them on my pants though

I do like the flaps on the back pockets of jeans and trousers because much like the other poster who likes them on her chest they make it look as if I still have a rear end! LOL

Esteemed Contributor

On the flip side......I won't buy a shirt - blouse - without a breast pocket.  First thing I check for - pop my readers in the pocket when shopping - would never wear eyeglasses on an old rope around my neck .  It also makes blouse more finished and better quality appearing.

No pocket - No sale

Respected Contributor

I like the look and utility of chest pockets. I hate carrying a purse and a chest pocket is just right for my license, credit card and bank card, which are all I need. And while wrking around the house I listen to audiobooks on my mp3 and I just slip it in my pocket.