Respected Contributor

Re: Why are QVC prices getting so high. And why the Big Designers with even more outrageous prices

I was born without the shopping gene.  Before computer and online shopping I love catalogues.  I loved shopping on Qvc because of that.  Now the prices are high, quality is low and sizing is just a ****** shoot.  I think those of us who could depend on some brand always fitting in a certain size liked to order on line.  Now you cannot count on sizing and the return shipping is ridiculous.  The whole premise of buying clothes online from shopping channels was that since you could not try it on, they would at least give you the original shipping cost back. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Why are QVC prices getting so high. And why the Big Designers with even more outrageous prices

I have never bought clothes  from QVC and never will. I like to touch, feel and try on clothing and I like to get bargains. There are just too many retailers around to buy overpriced clothing from a home shopping channel unless it was truly unique. Some of the Linea pieces can;t be found locally so that makes the difference.

But basic tees whether cotton, cotton/rayon/ rayon/span can be found anywhere. LC and IM don't own the market on essential t-shirts. 

But what really bugs me is that every retailer can have sales after holidays of 50-75% off of winter merchandise and overstocked items they want to clear out for the incoming spring stuff. Yet QVC can't do the same? Maybe they do have ginormous warehouses but still, why wouldn't you want to clear out a lot of merchandise in any case. Taking 3-4 dollars off and calling it clearance is insulting. 

I guess they figure they have a captive audience who is loyal to certain brands and sitting at home buying is easy so why not push prices to the limit. Whereas if some people saw $80 for  a thin sweater in a local store, they'd sniff at it and walk away. 

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Esteemed Contributor

I read the post somewhere on here about the 16 cent discount.  Seriously?   And I thought $3 off was insulting.

I have some SG items that are not worth the money I spent plus I'm sick of the fabrics so I'm hitting my department stores for spring/summer items unless SG makes some changes. 

Respected Contributor

I have purchased alot of clothing throughout the years at QVC. I quit for a couple of reasons BUT not because of cost. I am more than willing to pay for a great piece if clothing if it:

a. fits

b. is not flimsy (i.e. disposable clothing)

c. is proportioned correctly

d. isn't over sold buy the host

There was a time when I could depend on QVC to be sized correctly no matter what line I bought. Not now. Sleeve lengths are skimpy, fabrics are thin, pant lengths say one thing and actually measure another. Not good. Some hosts are guilty of saying anything to get us to purchase.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

Yes, we can shop elsewhere.  I often do.

I do think many of QVC's prices are too high for the 'lack of" quality in some items.

Logo is going up and up and up.

I'd buy more but some of her items are over $80 and the quality hasn't been that great lately.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

There are shoppers who insist on value for their money and shoppers for whom anything that is "cute" they are willing to buy. As long as QVC can sell to those folks - they don't have to present a value for the money so they don't. As long as there are shoppers who will purchase trends no matter how  cheesy the craftsmanship and the fabric are QVC will continue to present them. Personally, I have found I get much better fit and a nicer quality shoe if I buy Clarks at the Clarks shoe store at the mall than when I pay the same to buy Clarks from QVC. I think QVC beats retailers up to get the cheapest possible price and so the product is no where near the quality that same retailer makes for other markets. This is also what Walmart does.So I basically feel I am being offered Walmart quality on QVC for a lot more money.

Honored Contributor

My opinion on the QVC pricing strategy is that while "some" products are worth the prices, the majority are not. However, QVC will continue to sell at as high of a price as the public is willing to pay, for as long as the public is willing to pay it. Or, as others have said, "what the market will bear". If enough people are no longer willing to pay that amount, they (any vendor) will either come down on price, or go out of business. I find that I am really no longer willing, in most cases, to pay that price, so I am doing more of my shopping at other online and brick and mortar store. Sorry QVC, you need to be more competitive for me to spend my $$$ with you.
"To each their own, in all things".
Valued Contributor

sticks, very well said.  My mindset is in today's world, w/internet & b/m store shopping all retailers need their customers more than shoppers need them.  

Valued Contributor

Dang spell check, it wouldn't let me spell your name right.

Esteemed Contributor

I believe when Quality and Convenience plus at least equal value, people will trust and buy b/c they're satisfied. They will pay extra when the company is trusted. Unfortunately, the Q has broken that trust. No longer can you count on their quality or their convenience or price.

Quality has suffered. You no longer no what might be coming when you order: will it fit, is it haphazardly made by Asian companies and poor quality control at the Q. Quality control is gone. You can't find a pair of shoes in the same brand and in the same size that fits.  

Convenience? Hosts do not give out essential details in order for a customer to make a purchase. And, they will tell you to go to QVC.com for important details. So, you have to do the hosts job for them while they enjoy their jobs. Also, the product is "in process" for days and you can't even count on an old out-dated 7-10 day delivery. 

This is why people look elsewhere. And it's the Q no longer "cares" about their quality, value and convenience.