Honored Contributor

Why Nordstrom is Bucking the Trend in Dept. Stores

This brief, informative article explains why Nordstrom is succeeding while other department stores, such as Macy's, J.C. Penney and Kohl's, are struggling. 

Here's the link:

https://usat.ly/2wwyyC2

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

Re: Why Nordstrom is Bucking the Trend in Dept. Stores

Thanks for the link.

And they offer free shipping both ways. This is the deal breaker for me an on line purchases. 

Honored Contributor

@handygal2  Retail is so puzzling to me.  2017, for example, is the first year in more than 20 that I spent less than $50 at Nordstrom, one scarf but no clothing, and one of the few years in those decades where I bought more than 2 garments from QVC.

I was so disappointed with what I saw during my season in Florida where there's a Nordstrom 2 minutes from home that I haven't bothered even to look at their website for sales.  What they're doing by concentrating on online as well as their Rack stores makes sense to me as an investor even though it also means I'll probably not be spending my money with them very often.

To the extent I can, I'll be a brick and mortar clothing shopper unless I'm buying a duplicate of something I already own or like QVC's brands just can't get them b&m.

Respected Contributor

the stock price does not share the optimism for the future.

Valued Contributor

I'm a Seattle girl and remember good old Nordstrom Best.  They have changed so much that I no longer shop there and really don't know anyone who does.  They used to have something for everyone (all ages and sizes) but now seem to be catering to children and young women.  So if you're over the age of 35 and not skinny, the pickings are slim.  There have been rumors that they are looking for someone to buy them, but I don't know if that's true.  

Regular Contributor

I love Nordstroms and do most all my shopping there. They have free shipping and free returns, even on makeup. This sure beats Q. I tried 3 shades to get my fav MAC foundation and returned the other 2. I sent a darling baby outfit for a shower with free delivery and my niece loved it. And they have great sales!!