Honored Contributor

I buy clothing online but almost always from a site that has a store not far from me (for easy and free returns).

I get the promos that make it very reasonable and the ability to return free of charge.

Best of both worlds if you're fortunate to live in an area that provides access to most companies.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I am a petite, and I agree that the petite selection in B&M stores is abysmal.  But lately, most of the pants in all the sections are terrible stiff, stretchy fabric that I have no use for. I actually wear regular tops because of my broad shoulders and can get away with regular dresses if they're on the shorter side, as in knee length.  I noticed the store had added to their Womens sizes that they are now calling Curvy, but petites get no love.  

If I felt like I could trust the measurements given for sizing, I would be more prone to online shop for clothing, but my last experience with Q sizing really turned me off.   Being between sizes makes it harder.  In the B&M store I can grab both sizes and go with the one that fits better.  But, besides getting the correct size, I like knowing the style flatters my body.  There are some styles I know won't work and some I know will work, but not everything.  I just need to see it on MY body to be sure.  

Sure, I hate getting undressed in those dressing rooms and the lighting is terrible, which is why I try to only do it once.  But, I also have no problem with walking out and checking the 3-way mirror. 

Now, shoes, I have absolutely no problem buying online.  It's very rare that a sie 7 1/2 won't fit me.  Boots are a problem though because of my calf size.

Honored Contributor

Re: Why I prefer B&M Stores

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I buy clothing online but almost always from a site that has a store not far from me (for easy and free returns).

I get the promos that make it very reasonable and the ability to return free of charge.

Best of both worlds if you're fortunate to live in an area that provides access to most companies.

I should have also included another benefit of ordering online: The selection is often much more extensive than individual B&M stores. This is especially important if you are a size that is outside the norm.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@suzyQ3 

I feel the same way! Besides there is more inventory online. Just a simple fact so if I see something in the store that they don't have in my size or a color that's not available I can always get it online. I've even discovered the same thing to be cheaper online! Even if I'm in the store I don't always try things on so that's not really a factor.

Unfortunately, ever since my bypass surgery, the leg they took the material from seems to tire very quickly so I can't do a long Mall crawl anyway

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess 

I also prefer shopping at brick & mortar stores mainly because I make smarter purchases in person, spend less money, and get to try things on before buying. I still have lots of options near me, but stores in other parts of my city have closed. 

I bought a few items online in the last 12 months mainly due to availability. For example, I will check online for items and sizes I can’t find in a store. I did that for a pair of jeans I needed, but I really prefer shopping for clothing in person. 

Esteemed Contributor

There are a few brands that I buy online e.g. Cuddl Duds and Slinky pants, because I can't find the same products elsewhere. But, I've learned that it's not worth it to me to be buy shoes, coats, bras and tops online anymore. Some online prices at the Q and H have become too high, and I have enough major malls and shopping areas (Kohl's) within 5 or 8 miles that it doesn't make sense to order online. Hubby recently ordered a portable grill from Amazon with free shipping - I told him what we needed one and since he has health issues, he found what I wanted with shipping within 2 days. It's whatever works!

Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

There are a few brands that I buy online e.g. Cuddl Duds and Slinky pants, because I can't find the same products elsewhere. But, I've learned that it's not worth it to me to be buy shoes, coats, bras and tops online anymore. Some online prices at the Q and H have become too high, and I have enough major malls and shopping areas (Kohl's) within 5 or 8 miles that it doesn't make sense to order online. Hubby recently ordered a portable grill from Amazon with free shipping - I told him what we needed one and since he has health issues, he found what I wanted with shipping within 2 days. It's whatever works!

@jannabelle1, I don't have a problem with shoes.  Sizing is never a problem there.  Boots are a problem because of my calves.  Now, bras I pretty much buy online from Kohls because I know the style I like and they (and pretty much anybody) don't carry much of anything 36A in the store.  

Valued Contributor

As a plus size, I buy most everything on line, and most of it on the Q.  I used to love malls in my younger years, and lived for shopping at them but now I hate them.  I detest trying close on it the tiny dressing rooms and seeing myself in the mirror...I stick to a few brands that I know will fit me and buy on line.  There are not many returns.  If there are, I chalk it up to convenience.  I love buying things on line.

Trusted Contributor
@Icegoddess
I still buy from brick and mortar stores because I don't want a world where everyone just sits on their couch waiting for their Amazon packages to be delivered!
Yes, I buy a lot from The Q, but I also love going to my local Macy's and browsing, touching fabric, trying make-up, putting hats and sunglasses on, etc. Retail therapy works for me...and I don't want a world WITHOUT brick and mortar stores. It sounds isolating.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why I prefer B&M Stores

[ Edited ]

@haddon9 :  Chicos is my favorite store!  As I am over 3 hours from the nearest store, I usually buy online; normally I wait for 40%(plus 5%) but very occasionally they do 50%off and I'm betting that Sunday they will offer that, for Mothers Day.  I also buy used Chicos denim jackets from Ebay (they usually cost 25% of store price).