Honored Contributor

Re: Why I buy clothes from bricks and mortar stores

Some of the places I shop online are tax free and free shipping.  3X1, Frame,  and Rag & Bone are all tax free and free shipping.

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Oh yes! When it comes to buying shoes or pants I must shop at a local brick and mortar store! 

@ID2   Lately, I’ve been purchasing pants at Nordstrom. They cost more, but free alterations and convenience work out price wise.

Respected Contributor

One of my promises to myself for 2019 was to stop purchasing clothing online, especially from QVC.  I probably returned 95% of all clothing items I purchased from the Q.  Shipping costs are too expensive to return an item.

There are a few brands at Dillard's and Macy's that generally run true to size for me but sometimes it looks different online than it does when you get it home.  I live close to a mall so it just makes better sense to try clothing on in the store.  It's cheaper too.

I have to buy my shoes online because I have a very narrow foot.  Naturalize and a couple of other brands are the only ones who offer narrow widths.  I can't find narrows in local shops.

Honored Contributor

@TY---- AMEN !!! I will not buy anymore clothing online--unless I KNOW that it will fit me from wearing them previously.and the price is right and I get free shipping/returns  and fast shipping---that would be from my fav B-n-M store, Macys---- I am over waiting weeks to get them, paying for shipping and then spending ridiculous amounts of extra $ for just one piece when I KNOW I can get alot more using the sales and coupons I get. Then ---and this is big----you KNOW how they look and feel and fit, right away------what a concept??!!!!! 

Trusted Contributor

For me, I don't drive so I'm a bit more limited in my options than those who can easily get in the car and drive down the road with ease.

I am a larger size in both clothes and shoes. I am a size 12 shoe and for ladies, wow, the selection in stores in almost impossible.

I am so thankful for online shopping.  For clothes, I could find things in stores but I do enjoy having clothes that few other plus size ladies have on.

I suspect, I will always shop online.  All I do now, is look for free shipping (other sites) and do my QVC returns in one box (you must clearly mark each item and I secure each in a seperate plastic clear bag).]]

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Respected Contributor

Like Happiness, I don't drive so almost all my clothing purchases are online. I'm also plus size and I wear a 13 wide shoe (which stores will not carry unless it's men's shoes) so online is the only way for me to get shoes.When I can go to B&M stores, I do enjoy it. Remember, not everyone has the luxury of being able to get out so online shopping is a godsend.
Honored Contributor

I used to shop til I dropped.  I've always enjoyed being alone.  I'd go shopping all day.  Not necessarily buying a lot of 'stuff' but walking around in the stores.  I was a stay at home mom, so I had time to shop during the day.  It was wonderful.

However, for quite a few years now, I can no longer peruse the aisles of stores.  My back (the severe pain) keeps me from walking around for very long.

For someone like me QVC is a God send.  It helps me be able to get clothes without spending a lot of time walking around looking for them.

I wish I could walk around all day and shop like I used to; but I can't.

So, I order from QVC.  You need to talk to people like me (and definitely others) who've seen the quality of QVC go down while the prices go up.

I don't mind paying for something if I think it's worth it (good quality).  But, well, when you get something directly from the manufacturer/seller (like we do) you see that everything comes from China.  Hence, the quality is often compromised...(that's a good word for it...compromised.

Anyway, boo hoo.  At least I'm not in a wheelchair, so there's an upside to everything.

I have a friend who shops every single Saturday and Sunday with someone she used to work with (she's retired now).  But even if I could shop til I dropped, I'm one of those shoppers who enjoys shopping alone.

I love reading and hearing about people who can and do shop like I used to.  I remember the feel of the fabrics as I used to run my hands over them.  I don't remember the horrible smells that are in some of the clothes I receive when I order from QVC and HSN.  Maybe they've aired out, I have no idea these days.  I loved talking to the sales people (a laugh here and there....moving on...).

I do worry though that one day 'brick and mortar' stores will be obsolete.  I worry about that because I know that my teenage granddaughters and my daughters mostly shop on line.  They don't enjoy spending time with friends shopping like I did when I was young.

They'd rather spend time on the @#$% computer and phone (not talking) but looking....looking....

Honored Contributor

@TY wrote:

Why do I buy clothes and shoes from bricks and mortar stores instead of online now? Shipping costs (shipping and return fees) and also clothing and shoe fit. I almost never get shoes to fit from the ones I've bought and ended up returning online. There's always something wrong from poor fit in the heel or cheap and scratching shoe linings. At least in a store I can see and feel the clothes and shoes in person.

Today I was in Winners and tried on 2 pair of the same pair of Angels curvy skinny jeans in a size 16 and a pair of high rise Royalty jeans in a size 14. The size 14 I could barely button the waistband and the rise in the back was too short even though it was supposed to be a high rise pair of jeans. The first pair of Angels jeans had a wonky zipper and the waistband was too big. The second pair that were the same size and style and fit me perfectly. So I bought them.

I tried on at least 8 pair of shoes in stores this past week and there was something wrong with all of them from heels that slipped to scratchy linings to shoes that cut corners on materials. I ended up not buying any of them. If I have trouble with shoes in store, why would looking online be any better? I would end up paying shipping and returns because I'm in Canada.

I have been purchasing clothes on line and locally.  It has taken a while but I have narrowed down whatI line I purchase from.  I purchase a lot of my clothes from Evine mostly tops and maxi and high low dresses.  I have to have dresses that are bra friendly.  I have noticed in local stores that if you want a nice maxi or high low dreses they have spaghetti straps or no straps lol.  I do not have issues with shoes on line however when I see shoe on line I will try to look for it locally first.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I prefer to shop online.   I don't have issues finding the right size.

Online = better selection, better prices.  I can see at a glance if my size and color is available w/o having to go through rack after rack.

Other than the stuff I buy at QVC - I get my clothes from Chico's, Soft Surroundings, JCP and LandsEnd.   Shoes from Aerosoles, JCP and LandsEnd and occasionally from Amazon and Zappos.   (Amazon has been particularly good lately.) 

Almost daily I get emails for sales from these stores.  Absolutely fantastic markdowns via LandsEnd and JCP and Chico's - and items aren't shop-worn.

Here in NYC we don't pay tax on shoes and clothing - and most of the time I can find free shipping.

Honored Contributor

@TY 

I also prefer shopping in brick and mortar stores. I hate the hassle of returning things. The item may be my size, but that doesn’t mean I will like the material, cut, or shape on me. I can’t determine these factors by looking online only. I make fewer mistake purchases by shopping in person.