Honored Contributor

Re: Why I buy clothes from bricks and mortar stores

Oh yes! When it comes to buying shoes or pants I must shop at a local brick and mortar store! 

"Pure Michigan"
Valued Contributor

I used to do that - back in the 80's and 90's - went to the mall almost every weekend.  But now - its so much more convenient to shop online and on the TV..  gives me back an afternoon for my other interests, hobbies.

Valued Contributor

I don't like internet shopping.  Just about everything I buy is from a b/m store.  I want to see first hand what my money is paying for.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

B & M stores don't work for me.  I don't want to wear the same limited styles available at all the B & M stores that everyone else are wearing. I used to order a lot of clothing from catalogs before the internet.  I wear a wide width shoe and very few B & M stores carry anything but conservative styles in wide.  If B & M shopping works for anyone that's great but I don't like wasting my time hoping to find something I might like.  I return or exchange next to nothing since I read reviews to get an idea if brands run small or large and once I know I can order and know what will and won't fit.

Honored Contributor

This is why I would rather buy my things in real stores.  Sizing is really not consistent.  You can try on 4 pairs of pants of the same size and they will all fit differently.  

And, of course, when you buy on-line, there is the description, color, fabric, etc. -- but its not the same as seeing it with your own eyes and feeling it.

As for shoe buying on-line --- forget it.  This is a disaster for me.  I just gave up on that.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I'll buy online not only from the shopping networks but from websites where I'm familiar with the brands, e.g. Macys, L&T.  But I need to try on shoes, pants and coats/jackets so b&m stores work for me.  And I actually like looking in the stores, feeling the fabrics and seeing the styles.  It's fun for me!

Honored Contributor

I think we should all shop whatever way works for us.

I work full time and don’t have the time to wander from store to store searching for something I like that is probably not there anyway. Past experience ended most of my B&M shopping for clothes and shoes.

I’m careful about what I buy and do pretty well. Garment measurements are great and, if something is off, well, free exchange and returns work for me. I rarely pay return shipping. If it goes back there is usually an issue that means free returns.

Trusted Contributor

Most of my clothes are from the Goodwill, Salvation Army or local hospital charity shop.

What is great is that I oftentimes get compliments on my style of dress.

The clothing I buy, after carefully inspecting, is hardly worn.

The pieces are somewhat older, well made, better brands (which wear very well).

My favorite part is that no one looks like me!

Shoes, I must try on due to a weirdly narrow heel and one foot quite a bit longer than the other.

Most always my shoes are purchased new at TJ Maxx.

I still enjoy walking the local malls and looking at the new fashions.

Usually I just end up purchasing a cup of coffee, although the mall is my go to for gift giving items.

Esteemed Contributor

I like B&M clothes because I can try on, no shipping.  I'd rather buy clearance if I can. That way when I get tired of it I don't feel like I should keep it just because I spent a lot of money on it. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm right there with ya, @TY!   I shop in stores so I can check the quality and feel of the fabric, and try on clothing, before I buy it.   And, I can take it home with me that day and not have to wait for the mail delivery.  No shipping charges; no returns.

But, I have a small, very narrow foot.  I've never been able to just walk into a store and buy shoes, except for sneakers that I can tie tight.  I've been ordering my shoes for decades, long before there was an internet.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt