Esteemed Contributor

Why I buy clothes from bricks and mortar stores

Why do I buy clothes and shoes from bricks and mortar stores instead of online now? Shipping costs (shipping and return fees) and also clothing and shoe fit. I almost never get shoes to fit from the ones I've bought and ended up returning online. There's always something wrong from poor fit in the heel or cheap and scratching shoe linings. At least in a store I can see and feel the clothes and shoes in person.

Today I was in Winners and tried on 2 pair of the same pair of Angels curvy skinny jeans in a size 16 and a pair of high rise Royalty jeans in a size 14. The size 14 I could barely button the waistband and the rise in the back was too short even though it was supposed to be a high rise pair of jeans. The first pair of Angels jeans had a wonky zipper and the waistband was too big. The second pair that were the same size and style and fit me perfectly. So I bought them.

I tried on at least 8 pair of shoes in stores this past week and there was something wrong with all of them from heels that slipped to scratchy linings to shoes that cut corners on materials. I ended up not buying any of them. If I have trouble with shoes in store, why would looking online be any better? I would end up paying shipping and returns because I'm in Canada.

Honored Contributor

Re: Why I buy clothes from bricks and mortar stores

[ Edited ]

I have found Naturalizer sizing and quality to be very consistent. I know my size in their shoes and have never had to return a pair. Since retiring I need more casual flats and I can get good quality leather shoes there. I find dressy shoes at Steinmart. I have to try those on in the store...I never know how a shoe will fit me nowadays, other than Naturalizer. It’s not the fanciest of designer brands, but it works for me!

Honored Contributor

All of my shoe brands fit the same for that style type.  Sandals, slip ons, and boots.  Several brands I can wear the sandals but not the boot!

I won't order if I have no experience in a store with a shoe brand.

Honored Contributor

I don't have much trouble with buying shoes online, but I really need to try on clothing especially with this new trend of skinny sleeves.  Plus, I have a shapely booty and large legs, so pants are a difficult fit for me. Boots are impossible because of the large calves which is really a shame because I love boots.

Honored Contributor

I have an usual shoe size - 12 narrow  - I know what brands make 12 narrow and which brands I can wear so it is unusual I ever have to return a pair of shoes.  I also hate, hate, hate to shop.

I shop online for other items also but most of clothes I buy have brick and mortar stores at my local mall but there are more choices online.  If I need to return something I just swing buy while doing my errands.  

Honored Contributor

I buy all my shoes and boots online and I have no problems at all.  I wear a size 10W so I have better options online.  I can find anything I want online.   Stores don't carry fashionable shoes in W widths.  Of course, I know what styles, heel heights etc. work for me.  I don't buy shoes I wish I could wear, I buy what I know I can wear.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I don't have much trouble with buying shoes online, but I really need to try on clothing especially with this new trend of skinny sleeves.  Plus, I have a shapely booty and large legs, so pants are a difficult fit for me. Boots are impossible because of the large calves which is really a shame because I love boots.

@Icegoddess Ann Taylor has some very pretty wider leg dress pants if you're interested.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The last time I bought any clothes from a brick & mortar store was in 2004 and it was at Coldwater Creek. That was the year I discovered QVC and haven't looked back since...LOL

Honored Contributor

I shop mostly online for clothing.  Shoes can be hit or miss.  If I stick to brands I know work, all is good.  I know when I go off track there will be trouble and there usually is.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Icegoddess Ann Taylor has some very pretty wider leg dress pants if you're interested.Smiley Happy

@ECBG , thanks.  I really don't want wide leg pants because I'm also short and wide legs make me look dumpier.  However, anything skinny leg is out of the question.  I can wear straight leg as a skinny jean except the pants ankles are too wide to be skinny pants.  I can generally wear a slight boot cut or straight leg dress pant except I normally have to have the waist taken in becasue of the booty, which adds to the price of the pants.