Super Contributor

Why I Don't Like Stretch Bracelets...Black & White Bow Tie Enamel

I was organizing my closet and found this JR stretch bracelet. I started putting it on my wrist and it just broke into a zillion pieces. The elastic was no longer stretchy. The elastic had oxidized (aged) and was fragile all over. Disappointing. It was not that old. My instincts tell me not to buy stretch bracelets, and from now on I will listen to myself, not the sales hype! I don't think I can legally post this picture, but I did find it on auction:

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mSf2L2LKMS_JsCV8cTJu5RA.jpg

- Bird
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: Why I Don't Like Stretch Bracelets...Black & White Bow Tie Enamel

If you like the bracelet, it's really easy to replace the elastic. Just go to your local craft store and buy new elastic and redo the bracelet. Doesn't take long to re-thread.

I've only had that happen on bracelets with metal components.

I have a lot of natural bead bracelets on elastic thread that have survived w/no problems.

Respected Contributor

I have had stretch bracelets and I have made stretch bracelets and a lot of them have lost their stretch. I tend to stay away from them now.

Don't worry, be Happy!
Respected Contributor

I haven't had that happen. But it makes sense that elastic might deteriorate over time.

I enjoy stretch bracelets. My wrists are small and stretch bracelets give a snug fit. So far, mine have held up. I don't have a lot invested in them; they tend to be inexpensive.

Honored Contributor

The elastic can always be replaced, I've done it a few times for my granddaughters. The craft stores even sell elastic and fittings for that purpose.

You can keep the elastic lasting longer if you keep it dry. Try not to get it wet.

I never buy elastic bracelets because I do not wear costume jewelry. If the bracelet is made from a natural stone or precious metal, it deserves to be set in a fine metal too. Elastic bracelets remind me of what I wore as a child. I am a grown up now and prefer grown up jewelry. But, I have to admit that I have seen some that tempted me.

Super Contributor

If you don't have a local craft shop, Firemountaingems.com sells 25 yard spools of bracelet elastic in various colors.

They also sell the bracelets - very reasonable prices for some fun costume jewelry. Search "stretch bracelets" on their website.

Honored Contributor

Oh I LOVE stretch bracelets! I make my own. If I ever broke a stretch bracelet that I liked I would just restring it! Good as new!

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

When, necessary (like, if they break, ugh), I restring them. I found good, strong jewelry elastic, and it's very easy to restring. And, I can get the size just right.

Esteemed Contributor

Just go to Michael's craft store and buy elastic thread made for jewelry called Stretch Magic. It comes in different diameters and I generally like the .7mm one to make my own stretch bracelets. It also comes in .5mm and 1mm diameter too.

And yes, elastic can wear out over time but it's easy to replace. I've also taken some of my stretch bead bracelets and made them larger by adding spacer beads or remaking bracelets. It's pretty easy to do.

I've even used stretch magic to fix some One World tops that had a "U" shaped metal insert in the front neckline, when the "U" metal broke, I used Stretch Magic and a couple of beads to turn the "U" into an "O". It looks good and was easy to do.