Contributor

Re: Why Fed Ex to US Post Office??

I think your shipper used FedEx SmartPost shipping service. More economical.

Valued Contributor

Both FedX and UPS hand off packages daily to the Post Office. It is cheaper for them, as typically the Post Office goes to most of the deliveries on their routes everyday. It is cheaper than running their own trucks to do parcel delivery. The only problem is that they deliver the packages to the PO in the afternoon after all of the carriers have left for the street to deliver their mail.

Honored Contributor

On 10/2/2014 Beauty$Junkie said:

Both FedX and UPS hand off packages daily to the Post Office. It is cheaper for them, as typically the Post Office goes to most of the deliveries on their routes everyday. It is cheaper than running their own trucks to do parcel delivery. The only problem is that they deliver the packages to the PO in the afternoon after all of the carriers have left for the street to deliver their mail.

This is true, that both FedX and UPS do this. I think it might be contracted for especially rural areas where the USPS is going everyday and saves the other carriers money, pay to hand it off, rather than run trucks way out for a few packages in rural areas.

I have had UPS transfer packages to the PO on the exact same day they came from the exact same hub, to my door with other packages, so while in theory it is supposed to work, in practice, it doesn't always do so.

Super Contributor

Just had two packages that were handed off by UPS to USPS on Sept. 14....USPS showed that they delivered said packages on Sept. 16. The packages SHOWED ÛP yesterday... October 1st.... In my mailbox. Of course the vendor already had resent them to me as I considered them lost. Where were they for Two weeks???
Regular Contributor

Because it's cheaper for QVC and adds to their already outrageous profit margin on shipping.

Honored Contributor

It's cheaper and keeps the post office from going under or ending Saturday delivery.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the replies. The package came today, only one day later. Still odd to me since we are NOT rural and everyday we have the Fed Ex and UPS trucks in our neighborhood and on my street. I guess all's well that ends well.

Super Contributor

It's called "Smart Post." A few months ago, I couldn't figure out why they were doing it, so I googled it.

I read that carriers like UPS and Fed Ex are taking advantage of a loophole that allows them to dump off some of their packages onto USPS for delivery. It is assumed this is beneficial to the carriers, but the article said that the Post Office hates it.

It appears to be common practice now. I've received several packages recently, both Sure Post and USPS, from different sources across the country and was amazed at how quickly they arrived.

Tracking info does seem to indicate that the packages are delivered to the Post Office after carriers would have left for the day's deliveries, but I haven't really noticed any serious delays in delivery.

Honored Contributor

if you are unable to wait to get something for any reason then it would be wise for you to buy at a B&M store where you walk out with it in your hand. TV shopping does not offer instant gratification.

Esteemed Contributor

No one said that we couldn't wait for any package, just wondering why it would go to the post office when Fed Ex is here every day.