Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why Do Designer Lines Decline After Being Sold?

The article is from 2008 about the time of the mortgage meltdown and many companies retrenched including clothing companies. Downsizing is what happened to that Sigrid Olsen clothing line as I'm sure it happened to other clothing lines as well. Unfortunately when a designer sells the rights to their name, they lose control over it, she certainly isn't the first and won't be the last to find that out.

Honored Contributor

Re: Why Do Designer Lines Decline After Being Sold?

I thought the article was interesting and explains a lot. Personally, when a designer sells it is never good. No one has love the original designer put into their work. When you sell, you get someone else interpreting your work. When you are the designer you KNOW exactly what to do. The other thing is almost always the quality suffers. When the article said Dana Buchman was selling to Kohl's I knew what they are doing. Making junk with someone elses name. What happens is, people who couldn't afford the original designer now buy at cheaper prices, lower quality. Then the brand dies out or reinvents itself.

As far as the fashion catering to a younger crowd, is that ever true. All the clothes are hoochie mama clothes. They are all clothes a 60, 70 year old woman has trouble wearing. or won't. It is strange because 55 year old and up have more disposable income.

I can't find a top that isn't matronly, boxy crud or sleeveless, tight, hoochie tops with glitter and writing all over it. I used to love the artsy clothes of Blue Fish, Citron, Donna Jessica, Nothing Matches, etc.

In truth most of the clothing companies suffered with everyone sending business over seas. The quality is bad, fabric lousy and the prices are higher to allow more profit.