Honored Contributor

Re: Why Are There So Many Tie Robes?

I can't stand pulling the zip ones over my hair.

@Sooner,a seamstress can make fabric loops and sew on buttons for you if you have some you'd like to change.Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

See so many pretty robes that are tie robes.  I will not buy one.  I prefer snap or zipper robes.  Don't want anything tied aroiund my waist and they gape open.  I wear my robes around the house alot with nothing under to be binding.  They are like lounge clothes to me and I have many pretty ones.   I have to "dress up" for work and always leave the house looking well put together even for errands.   I love my clothes and jewelry but as soon as I am home, off they go and on goes the robe!  When I'm home I want to be comfortable and let the body "breathe".  There is only DH and me at home and unless I am expecting guests, you will most generally find me in a pretty robe.  The one I have on now zips from the top and from the bottom.  Very handy to unzip the bottom a short way.

Honored Contributor

@PinkyPetunia wrote:

I don't recall seeing robes with buttons.  I have some lighter weight ones with snaps down the front.   I also like a zippered robe.  I agree the tie robes are annoying.

Are you good at sewing?  You could take a tie robe and add some buttons of your own. I would just make some loop closures, not bothering with buttonholes.  That may work.

THe problem with snaps is that they tend to pull the material apart when they've been washed many times.  We used to have big buttons that were easy to put through the hole and easy to undo. 

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Sooner,a seamstress can make fabric loops and sew on buttons for you if you have some you'd like to change.Smiley Happy

@ECBG  Great idea, but those zippers turn in and are COLD if you aren't wearing something UNDER the robe!  LOL!!!! Woman Embarassed

Esteemed Contributor

Everybody has different tastes in blouses, skirts, shoes.... and robes (apparently).  I'm sure there are plenty of button and zipper robes out there if you look for them.  I have all three styles but usually grab for my tie robe first because I love the fluffy fabric.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

This is my favorite robe ever by Adrienne Landau.  I have had it for two years, washes beautifully and is so comfortable with the tie belt.

Image result for adrienne landau bathrobe

Honored Contributor

Below, I have in thick terrycloth w/my real first name embroided.

Screen Shot 2017-12-23 at Sat, Dec 23, 2017-12.44.57 PM.png

I found it over on Overstock.  It's actually a mans robe.  I noticed men's coats & robes are thicker than females.  I stay cold all year round, so this robe is perfect.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@ECBG  Great idea, but those zippers turn in and are COLD if you aren't wearing something UNDER the robe!  LOL!!!! Woman Embarassed

@Sooner,Boy!  They sure do!  She'd take it out if loops and buttons were added.

Honored Contributor

I love tie robes.  I wouldn't want any other kind.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I avoid zippers on anything if I can because they give me nothing but grief. I like a tie robe because I can get it on faster than if I had to do buttons or snaps.

To keep from losing the belt, I knot it in the loops so it can’t fall out.

ETA: If the robe didn’t have loops, I would pin the belt to the sides.