Honored Contributor

Why Are There So Many Tie Robes?

I just hate tie robes.  I can't stand that belt tied around me and I tend to lose the darn thing anyway, or I don't tie it and it dragging around (Can't have a cat for sure if that's the case!).  I want a loose comfy robe, not a belted thing with no give in the middle and that bulky knot. 

I love a good old fashioned robe with big buttons so I can close one or two or not, NOT have to zip it all the way up (which is a pain when I roll out of bed and can't get the zipper put together or zip it up and am hot 15 minutes later).  With buttons you can adjust how buttoned up it is.  With a zipper it's pretty much all or nothing.

I would LOVE to see more robes with buttons!!!  Am I alone?

Honored Contributor

Re: Why Are There So Many Tie Robes?

I just got a new robe.  It's wonderful in softness. However, it ties.  I miss some buttons already. Mostly I have zippered ones. Buttons I don't have to mess with.  But I agree, it's so soft, the tie,  doesn't stay tied unless I double knot it.

Esteemed Contributor

I love tie ones; but understand why some people don't.  Vermont Country Store has zillions (I think the largest selection of women's robes).  Not sure about big buttons cuz I've never looked that closely - but give it a try. 

Honored Contributor

Why?  Apparently lots of women prefer tie robes.  I don't -  and gave the last one I bought to my sister who almost never wears any other kind.

I don't mind seeing the tie robes offered for sale, but I put them into the same category as tucking in tops -  tie robes and tucked tops all look bad on me.

Honored Contributor

i actually prefer a tie robe. i dont always tie it so i like that i can use it as a "coat" around the house or to go to pick up the paper or mail at the end of our driveway. i also like that i can be laying on the sofa and can grab my robe and throw it over me like a blanket if one is not close by.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I don't recall seeing robes with buttons.  I have some lighter weight ones with snaps down the front.   I also like a zippered robe.  I agree the tie robes are annoying.

Are you good at sewing?  You could take a tie robe and add some buttons of your own. I would just make some loop closures, not bothering with buttonholes.  That may work.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner  I get it.  I ended up buying a zip robe because the tie robe style was driving me nuts.  I've seen snap front robes.  I haven't seen a button up robe in a long time.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

I can't stand something tied around my waist first thing in the AM either so I love a button front robe too. Found this one one online at AmeriMark. Chenille and shell buttons and pretty colors (I got the blue). Around $30...great price too. Reminds me of some of the Stan Herman robes he use to offer.

Regular Contributor

I hate tie robes!  They always look bulky unless you are a size 0 and when you sit down they always gap open and you end up cold.  I like zip front robes, they are the best in my opinion.

Honored Contributor

Nice Robe @silkyk

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise