Frequent Contributor

Why Are Denim & Company and Susan Graver Clothes So Expensive?

I am a very long time shopper of QVC since the 1990's.  I have seen such an increase in Susan Graver's lines of clothing these past three years.  Who can buy a top for $65 and pants for another $65?  I mostly shop on Amazon now with my Amazon Prime membership with free shipping and free returns.  I just see a new style featured on th e Q and search on Amazon and find the same quality clothes for so much less.  Why are her clothes so darn expensive? Even her tees are always at lease $49.00.  I refuse To buy her clothes because of the pricing unless it may be in clearance.  

Thougts?

Honored Contributor

Re: Why Are Denim & Company and Susan Graver Clothes So Expensive?

Because people are willing to pay the price that is asked.

As DH says "vote w/your wallet".

Trusted Contributor

I just have to finally reply to one of these threads that complain about prices.  I just don't understand.  Hasn't it always been that way?  There has always been clothing that costs more than I can afford.  Why complain?  

Honored Contributor

I've been pleased with both brands over this past year and will buy again -   as soon as I have reason to buy any new clothes.

I can control my clothes spending quite easily because I want for so little.  Where my spending frightens me has more to do with the price of food, cars, car insurance, media like phones and cable, etc.  Those costs are moving faster than anything I buy from QVC or its counterparts -  and are most often life-changing if I don't/can't buy.

Honored Contributor

@Norriesgirls  Agree completely.  Although I have several D&C and SG items, I never pay full price for them.  Put whatever item into my "wish list" or check LTS and wait for a significant price reduction.  Otherwise, I buy Karen Scott, Charter Club and JM at Macy's or Rafaella or the store brand at Lord and Taylor, both always have very good sales.  I can afford to pay $60 for a simple top but I like to get bang for my buck and rarely pay full price for anything.

Respected Contributor

@Norriesgirls  I do like the quality of those two brands . I rarely miss surfing through the LTS & PTS . I feel like I have won the lottery when I find a nice price. When watching the regular presentations anymore I frequently think "oh that is pretty' but then reason with myself  --eh not $50.00 pretty--for my circumstances. To each their own.

@sandy53 " Why complain?" Because we can here in a fashion forum. Discuss ? Complain? Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

For me - it's not necessarily the prices - but their styles have evolved into a lot of stuff I just don't like.  

Years ago, I bought a lot of D&Co and SG .... but not recent years.

Now - 99% of the time - it's their pants. 

I like D&Co's original waist pants, and SG's lustra knit pants.  Those prices aren't bad and those are the pants I wear most often.  

Honored Contributor

I don't know of anything where the price has gone down or even remained the same.  Groceries are rising out if sight.  The tariffs have added about $10. to the price of a Chinese-made tee shirt.

Speaking if inflated prices, consider Logo.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

My favorites at QVC are Isaac Mizrahi, Susan Graver, Belle and Denim & Co.

Yes, prices have risen but so has the price of everything.  Sales exist to make a profit.  The cost of producing the items has risen for the vendors also.

I am much happier with the feel of the fabric and the quality of the items in the brands I have mentioned that what I find in B&M, including Macy's and Nordstrom and as far as prices are concerned, my favorite catalog, Drapers and Damons pricing is higher than any of the QVC brands mentioned.

I have disposed of most of my B&M Items.  Just bought 3 new big shirt/lightweight jackets at Drapers and the items were $69.96 and $79.95 plus S/H.  Items similar to Graver items were $129 so I don't consider QVC prices out of line, in fact the opposite.  I feel I am getting what I am paying for.

Trusted Contributor

Agree. I, too, have been a long time QVC shopper of mostly D&C and SG. The D&C clothing used to be around $20-25 for a top and SG used to be $30-40. Now the tees are almost double in price. Certainly, prices have gone up, but other clothing in retail stores have not doubled. Plus Macy's etc. have actual sales, sometimes half price. QVC seems to think $5 off is a sale. Not. 

The shoe prices are more reasonable for someone who wears an 11W--not available in actual stores, but I gave up after paying $5.50 shipping and 6.95 to return pairs that Should fit. Now I only buy from the online stores that have return free shipping.