Honored Contributor

Who still has ramie and cotton sweaters?

I pulled a ramie and cotton sweater out the other day and found it to be soft and warm.  It's a mock-neck, ivory chunky knit with pearls scattered across the front.

It was from the original Brownstone Studio catalog and must be well over ten years old - maybe more.  (I know they have a few remaining items in the Draper's and Damon's catalog, but I no longer shop with them.)

Ramie was popular for a while in sweaters.  It's strong, but also has certain drawbacks such as stiffness and brittleness.

Anyone still wear theirs or have fond memories of them?

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Who still has ramie and cotton sweaters?

@GingerPeach

Wow, now that's a blast from the past!  Yes, I remember that I had a number of ramie/cotton knit tops and liked them a lot.  Was that the 90's?  Don't have any now.  I wonder what happened  to ramie/cotton? 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the memory! I loved my ramie cotton sweaters in the 80's and 90's. They had a strong yet loose woven texture and felt very natural and breathable. I'd love for them to make a return! 

Honored Contributor

Those sweaters had beautiful colors too!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I know I had some ramie/cotton blend-- think it was a soft indigo shade...

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I still have some all cotton, or raimie/cotton blends stored away. Some of my favorites were sleeveless summer sweaters, but I also have some with long sleeves.

They're lovely.

Thanks for reminding me. Think I'll check on them, see if any with sleeves still fit, can use them now. 

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach

I have an ancient and much loved Ramie / Linen Irish Cable cardigan.

Once something I love gets trapped in my closed, well... it stays.

Love it, wish Irish Day here offered some cotton instead of all wool.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

I must be the only one who wasn't thrilled with ramie/cotton sweaters...........after a while they all got mishapen and 

stretched out/baggy looking.....only bought a few....and that was enough for me...............

Honored Contributor

I wonder if it depended on the quality of the ramie?  I have some that are quite old but still have retained their shape, color and softness.  I liked the combination.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GingerPeach @Drythe @x Hedge @Oznell @ECBG  How ironic you would mention cotton/ramie sweaters today. I recently opened a container drawer full of old QVC sweaters which I loved made of that blend! They have never worn out and the fabrics are still in excellent condition. I plan to launder them a begin wearing them again. IIRC they were warm, too.

(It does help that I only wear sweaters a few times each year, then launder or dry clean and put them away for a couple of years. I rotate my wardrobe; thus, pieces are often forgotten for years. Good thing those sweaters were all classic v-necks!)

ETA: I do know and shop a great site for cottons, linens, silks, wools and blends if anyone is interested. It's located in Europe. The quality is impecable and materials are better than if you were to hand-knit the sweaters yourself. (I'm a knitter and cannot make them myself for the cost.) Go on-line to: WoolOvers USA dot com

Be sure to check the measurements for each item. Several years ago, I found items were not consistent in sizing. I ended up giving one sweater to Charity which was huge. Customer Service is excellent (if you have questions). Shipping is prompt and efficent (usually within 7-8 days).  Since then, I realize it could have been returned to an address in NYC and postage would not have been outrageous. If you buy $100 or more, S&H is free. I always find far more than $100 worth of items to purchase! It's a win-win for both warm and cold weather tops. Hope you find some items you can't live without! Have fun looking.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.