Honored Contributor

Who should not wear an Obi belt?

Shawn mentioned this belt the other night, so I just looked it up. Who shouldn't wear one? I am high waisted, but now when I wear an overblouse, I don't like the look that much. They sure seem expensive, but I guess it's the leather.  I'm not sure one would be good for my waistline. Anyone else highwaisted and can tell me? I am not usually a belt person. Anyway, feed back on this would be nice.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Who should not wear an Obi belt?

Who shouldn't wear an obi? MOI! When I was younger I had a nice, small waist. I often wore belts and had an obi that I wore over untucked blouses. Those days are gone. I'm a size 8 but my waistline has disappeared. I gave away all of my belts, including the leather obi I used to wear. Ahhh...the joys of aging...NOT!

Honored Contributor

I wore belts like these in the 70s and the 80s.

I could still wear them, but I just don't like the "look" anymore!

Esteemed Contributor

Being  short waisted  belts do nothing but add bulk on me .  In the late 80's this item was a fad and the belt would roll down the minute I  sat down.  It was an uncomfortable accessory.

Honored Contributor

unless you are a Geisha or for some reason wearing a Geisha costume, no one.

Honored Contributor

I would think more than anything that the obi belt is way out of style! I haven't seen one in the past 25 years. Yikes.

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I never really cared for the look of any kind of belt and the obi style is probably my least favorite for many reasons.  I'm short-waisted with longer legs and for my proportions, a belt just cuts my shorter torso in half, making it even shorter.  IMO, the obi belt does nothing for most people.  I've seen it on the GILI rep and it looks like a shelf for her breasts.

Esteemed Contributor

Can't help with who should or shouldn't wear one just not able to see why anyone would want to wear one.  The only place I have seen these is on the Q.  I don't think they are a  hot in demand fashion accessory.  To me they are silly looking.

Esteemed Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

I never really cared for the look of any kind of belt and the obi style is probably my least favorite for many reasons.  I'm short-waisted with longer legs and for my proportions, a belt just cuts my shorter torso in half, making it even shorter.  IMO, the obi belt does nothing for most people.  I've seen it on the GILI rep and it looks like a shelf for her breasts.

Woman Surprised

Woman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOL

Honored Contributor

that belt is a relic of those crazy super wide belts LR used to strap herself into, which were never that flattering on her either,

I like belts, but not just stuck randomly on garments and left to ride up under the armpits.