Respected Contributor

Who makes the best quality faux suede clothing?

In your opinion, what manufacturer makes the best quality faux suede garments

I have found some pieces that are of excellent quality fabric and construction and others that are not so good. 

I'd love to get your opinions on this subject.

Honored Contributor

Re: Who makes the best quality faux suede clothing?

I think the ultimate in faux suede has for about the past 30+years been Ultra Suede.   It has always been very expensive and is sewn just like real leather.   It feels so silky and sumptuous.   Ultra Suede is the manufacturer of the fabric not a clothing maker.   I've always wanted something made from it.   Denim &  Co. Sold a jacket last fall which was a good substitute. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

A281814 is Halston's tunic/jacket that was a recent TSV.  It's very soft and looks expensive.  The whole garment - it has knit sleeves & a beautiful satiny lining - looks & feels special.  I love the moss green!

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I think the ultimate in faux suede has for about the past 30+years been Ultra Suede.   It has always been very expensive and is sewn just like real leather.   It feels so silky and sumptuous.   Ultra Suede is the manufacturer of the fabric not a clothing maker.   I've always wanted something made from it.   Denim &  Co. Sold a jacket last fall which was a good substitute. 

Genuine Ultra Suede has been used by designers for more than 40 years.  Halston was one of the first designers I recall who used the fabric back in the 1970s.  It was then and remains the best of the imitators on the market.  Garments made of genuine Ultra Suede often carry price tags comparable to if they were made with genuine sueded leather, so it's expensive.  It would seem that technology would have made it possible to come up with another great faux suede fabric, which could be sold at a more moderate price point, but to my eye and touch mediocre seems to be the only alternative still.   

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your comments.  I have been looking for quite a while, but I have not seen anything that comes close the the Original Ultrasuede or even its later and lighter version, Ultrasuede Facile.

I have had several older items (brands like Bill Blass, Count Romi, Abe Schader, Adolph Schuman for Lili Ann, original Halston pieces that were made when Halston was still alive and running the show, etc.) in my wardrobe that were made from the original Ultrasuede manufactured by Skinner.  It seems like I quit seeing garments made from genuine Ultrasuede in the late eighties or early nineties. 

A couple of years ago I went to an upscale fabric boutique to see if I could purchase some of the fabric and have a seamstress make something for me.  They only had one role of Ultrasuede in a color I could not use.

I know a lot of people these days refer to just about any faux suede microfiber as "Ultrasuede," but it is not genuine Ultrasuede.  Most of the current faux suede fabrics I have seen are more like the lighter weight Ultrasuede Facile than the original--but not even that good.

Many of the current crop of faux suedes loose their nap and do not wash as well or last as long as the heavier original Ultrasuede fabric.

I agree with Trixx: "It would seem that technology would have made it possible to come up with another great faux suede fabric, which could be sold at a more moderate price point, but to my eye and touch mediocre seems to be the only alternative still."

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

Kachina624,

I agree with you that some of the Denim and Company fabrics are much better than the average faux suedes that are out there.  It was for that reason that I bought several of their faux suede/faux fur vests a couple of years ago.  Those items have washed very well and were the most like real Ultrasuede than anything I had seen.  I also have some recently purchased Tahari pieces that are quite good quality.

I do hope you will be able to get something made out of the original Ultrasuede.  It is a remarkable fabric.

If you can find some of the fabric and want to have a seamstress or tailor to make something for you, make sure that they know how the work with Ultrasuede.  Some of the techniques for sewing/construction it are quite different than for regular sewing.  As I recall, you have to do some very careful cutting of the fabric, overlap seams, and do a lot of topstitching.  I remember seeing patterns specifically for sewing Ultrasuede for the home seamstress that gave detailed instructions for the unique  things you would have to do to sew with this fabric.

Respected Contributor

@Magny wrote:

A281814 is Halston's tunic/jacket that was a recent TSV.  It's very soft and looks expensive.  The whole garment - it has knit sleeves & a beautiful satiny lining - looks & feels special.  I love the moss green!

Dear MinNYC,

Thanks so much for the heads-up about that new Halston tunic/Jacket piece.  I noticed that the QVC information said that it was made out of a "Faux suede" and did not use the words "Ultrasuede" or "Ultrasuede Facile."  From the picture, it looked like it might resemble the lighter weight Ultrasuede Facile fabric.  The pink and grey colors look gorgeous.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@Writer with Flair wrote:

@Magny wrote:

Dear MinNYC,

Thanks so much for the heads-up about that new Halston tunic/Jacket piece.  I noticed that the QVC information said that it was made out of a "Faux suede" and did not use the words "Ultrasuede" or "Ultrasuede Facile."  From the picture, it looked like it might resemble the lighter weight Ultrasuede Facile fabric.  The pink and grey colors look gorgeous.

While I sewed in the '70's, & certainly remember Ultrasuede, I don't know the Facile version, but this is very soft & silky, & the price is good.

Respected Contributor

I just purchased a faux suede jacket from Halston at QVC.  The faux suede was so real looking when I opened I had to look at the fabric tag.

Trusted Contributor

I have a GILI dress from a couple of years ago.  The quality is outstanding and it feels wonderful.  Honestly, none of the faux's feel real to me but they do look luxurious and it's not to not have to baby clothing.