Honored Contributor

Re: Who looks great over 50 and how?

@LTT1

Jaclyn Smith-

Meredith Vieira

Paula Zahn-

Respected Contributor

I agree about Joy's dress, too young a look for her. The same style/color/fit in another material would have been much better. 

I understand why it upsets people to see older women out and about looking like they just don't care but I can sympathize. I am closer to 60 and somehow I've managed to still look good, lol. I get up every morning and put on full makeup even if I know I'm not leaving the house. I also dress halfway cute, even if just capris and a top because I'll be cleaning. It makes me feel better. But if I'm feeling really bad, there's nothing I HAVE to have (I stay stocked up) and I just don't go out if I'm feeling that bad. I also have a husband who can help. Some women are alone, have health problems, etc., and may have to drag themselves out for errands to the pharmacy, etc. 

I know I sound like a broken record, but don't be so quick to judge. I used to be a fanatic about my eyebrows.  After dealing with health issues I'm not such a stickler. I still would never go to the grocery or shopping without makeup but a lot of times I will just throw on capris and sneakers even though I have tons of nice things. I have to be comfortable. It's a reality for many and how you look isn't your biggest priority. 

I do keep up with color/highlights and a current hairstyle. Keep my nails done and pedicures, etc. I dress nice for special events, nights out, or sometimes just because I feel like it.  That poor woman in the Walmart photo obviously has "issues" and makeup application is probably the least of it. 😄

Honored Contributor

@LTT1

Sheryl Crow looks great!

Honored Contributor

I think that "Walmart person" is a man

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

Lindsay Lohan is a long way from 50!!

But she looks much older than her age, from all those years of hard partying and abusing her body.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Trusted Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:

@StylishLady wrote:

How about a kindred spirit, Joy Philbin, here with her daughters before Regis's good bye show. I want her dress. 

JoyBlkLthrDress.jpg

Joy is attractive.  I don't care for the dress at all.  Not my style in the least.

ITA - not flattering by any stretch of the imagination.

Occasional Contributor

The dress doesn't fit her anywhere.  Black is bad on her.  I hope she didn't spend thousands on it, big mistake if she did.

Trusted Contributor

@june22 wrote:

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@catwhisperer wrote:

@LTT1 wrote:

@catwhisperer

I am your age. I want to enjoy life and live it with zest. Most of the pictures I found on a Google search of "older women celebrities" were runway pictures. I'd love to see more candid, full-length pictures!

Thought it was a surprise that Julia Roberts came up in this group.

also, Lindsay Lohan!

I am appalled when I see how some women go out in public. It's like they just don't care anymore. I refuse to even go to the grocery store without styling my hair and putting makeup on. Many times I have had total strangers come up to me and compliment me on my hair or something I am wearing. I try to take pride in my appearance.

Going to the supermarket is always an adventure and great material for what not to wear or how to look on a Saturday or any day!!

Waiting in the deli section to be called on- I saw a woman wearing a decent T shirt in a off white color with some cute embroidery on it, she wore a black bra below it! She was slightly older than I am.

I was in a Sephora, looking at make up brushes a few weeks ago and ended up getting some rollerball perfume for travel usage and as I was standing on line, the woman in front of me, asked if the Sephora people did my make up, I told her no, I did it myself. Now this woman was at least 65 yrs old and she said wow-- this is what I need to do, get some make up and experiment!

I think that after a certain age, all women need make up on because your skin tone changes, your hair changes and just not wearing any makeup makes you look older IMO.

I discovered I look better wearing foundation and blush instead of just wearing blush alone. The foundation evens out the color of your skin to one color, not many. I started wearing foundation with blush about 2 years ago.

I'd show you a photo of me, but you know what would happen here.

I find this post rather disturbing... In fact, the entire thread disturbing...who cares how other people dress. If you want to put a facade on  and get all dressed up to go to the grocery store...go for it, what does that have to do with a woman who chooses to wear a black bra? Fine if it makes you feel better, but why talk like other people are less than because they do not dress to your standards?  Take pride in your appearance without putting others down

ITA. Some women have nothing better to do than to scrutinize and put down what other women are wearing and make rude comments. They think they're better than anyone else.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.