Trusted Contributor

Re: Who looks great over 50 and how?

@Mz iMac wrote:

@my2centstoday wrote:

A lot of the pix posted above are of women who have had cosmetic surgery and also have the luxury of a personal trainer so, in my opinion, they don't count.   

Not Ernestine Shepherd age 78

Ernestine-Shepherd-X.png1e419ea32021df46cd336e29623447d5.jpg

YUCK. Nothing attractive about the way she looks.

Honored Contributor

@ladyroxanne wrote:

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Stay away from bright red lipstick -- all you see is a pair of red lips coming at you. If you dye your hair, do not dye it black, unless your hair was originally black in color.

Don't wear light blue eye shadow on the lids-- unless you are channeling the 60's and please do not draw too large a line below the lid-- it looks like raccoon eyes.

Try not to wear blush in a color that contrasts with your lipstick and also don't apply it to such a degree that its clearly delineated. You are not a clown so tone the blush down a little bit. Blending of foundation and blush are very important to look natural.

Try not to look like this woman:

i would apply those rules to all women.

Reminds me of Mally's mascara.  HELP!!!

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

One of my favorite authors is Lilian Jackson Braun of "The Cat Who..." books.  Many of her books have this picture on the jacket...

When I first saw it, I thought, "How adorable!  I want to look like this when I get older."  I think she looks like she'd be a hoot to know.  There's just something about her...a joyfulness shines out...a twinkle in her eye...a playfulness.   Here are a few other pics of her...

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

@Tribesters wrote:

image.jpgJustJazzmom- how's this? This is from my local Walmart.

YIKES!

Classic example of trying to dress younger than your age.

Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@ladyroxanne wrote:

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Stay away from bright red lipstick -- all you see is a pair of red lips coming at you. If you dye your hair, do not dye it black, unless your hair was originally black in color.

Don't wear light blue eye shadow on the lids-- unless you are channeling the 60's and please do not draw too large a line below the lid-- it looks like raccoon eyes.

Try not to wear blush in a color that contrasts with your lipstick and also don't apply it to such a degree that its clearly delineated. You are not a clown so tone the blush down a little bit. Blending of foundation and blush are very important to look natural.

Omg hilarious and so true!!

Respected Contributor

@my2centstoday wrote:

It is not that we think we're better than anyone else.  The point is that this country's standards in a lot of areas are just disappearing.  People go to the store wearing pajamas!  And I'm not talking about teenagers.  They just don't care how they look.  Have any of you seen photos of people walking through an amusement park many years ago? Women in dresses and men in nice pants and shirts.  In an amusement park!  I can only imagine what they look like in parks these days.  So, we who respect ourselves enough to maintain a nice appearance wherever we go will continue to do so.  If the rest want to dress like slobs, go for it.  One day recently, I was walking through a grocery store parking lot, and a woman who was walking toward me said "you look really nice.". I was dressed casually, as always, but probably a lot more current than most women my age. I'm 73 but look and feel like I'm 20 years younger.  I greatly appreciated her compliment.

I will be going grocery shopping in the morning and adults will be in their PJs including slippers....yes!!! My mother who would have been 88 always dressed up for the store, it was an event. She ALWAYS looked nice and got lots of compliments.

Esteemed Contributor

@StylishLady wrote:

Another kindred spirit is Sharon Stone. Very similar to Joy's dress. One of my black leather skirts is a Jacklyn Smith label. She is another inspiration.

sharon-stone-leather-img.jpg

She looks a lot better in it! 

Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@ladyroxanne wrote:

@JustJazzmom wrote:

On yes. That was a good one.

Esteemed Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@my2centstoday wrote:

A lot of the pix posted above are of women who have had cosmetic surgery and also have the luxury of a personal trainer so, in my opinion, they don't count.   

Not Ernestine Shepherd age 78

Ernestine-Shepherd-X.png1e419ea32021df46cd336e29623447d5.jpg

Amazing! 

WOW....how cool is that?

Esteemed Contributor

But, if we're talking about celebs (who have many advantages over us regular folks), I think Rita Moreno is gorgeous...

And Ruby Dee, one of my dad's favorite actresses...

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~