Honored Contributor

Re: Who looks great over 50 and how?

@StylishLady wrote:

How about a kindred spirit, Joy Philbin, here with her daughters before Regis's good bye show. I want her dress. 

JoyBlkLthrDress.jpg

Joy is attractive.  I don't care for the dress at all.  Not my style in the least.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:

Every picture of Sandra Bullock is gorgeous...she is said to be a good and kind person with girl next door looks...just beautiful inside and out....maybe that is her secret

Sandra B. looks fabulous as does Diane Keaton and Helen Mirren.    Joy PHilbin looks great, but I don't like the dress on her at all. It looks tacky, and I'm sure it was thousands of dollars.  She's dressing FAR too young for her age.  Diane Keaton and Helen MIrren always look age appropriate.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Respected Contributor

The saying "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!" applies. I know women with decent bodies who are older. Somehow they think they can still dress like a teen. It doesn't work.

Some women are on limited incomes or might be stuck buying cheaper clothing which is generally cut for young girls and women. Sometimes it's OK, but sometimes it really doesn't work and they come off looking worse. Serious muffin top, tank tops and heavy makeup.

I think part of the secret is having money. It opens a lot of doors and addresses a lot of problems and ills. That is a big part of why many celebs look great for their age. (genes are a part too. Then they can also invest in cosmetic procedures. Really good food isn't cheap either. So why wouldn't they look good.

Respected Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

Just wanted to add that I am very conservative. I don't even own any low cut tops or short shorts. You won't see any of my body parts hanging out anywhere. At my age, who would want to see them anyway?LOL.

you sound like you have a lot of common sense to me @catwhisperer.  keep up the great attitude too.  i like it!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:

@StylishLady wrote:

How about a kindred spirit, Joy Philbin, here with her daughters before Regis's good bye show. I want her dress. 

JoyBlkLthrDress.jpg

Joy is attractive.  I don't care for the dress at all.  Not my style in the least.

I KNEW @StylishLady would like Joy's dress! I like it, too, and can see myself buying it if it came in faux leather. Just too much money to pay for the real deal since it is a dress that would be remembered. I would def wear a more supportive bra with it and different necklace. If you're in shape, I say rock it.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

@LTT1 wrote:

@catwhisperer

I am your age. I want to enjoy life and live it with zest. Most of the pictures I found on a Google search of "older women celebrities" were runway pictures. I'd love to see more candid, full-length pictures!

Thought it was a surprise that Julia Roberts came up in this group.

also, Lindsay Lohan!

I am appalled when I see how some women go out in public. It's like they just don't care anymore. I refuse to even go to the grocery store without styling my hair and putting makeup on. Many times I have had total strangers come up to me and compliment me on my hair or something I am wearing. I try to take pride in my appearance.

Going to the supermarket is always an adventure and great material for what not to wear or how to look on a Saturday or any day!!

Waiting in the deli section to be called on- I saw a woman wearing a decent T shirt in a off white color with some cute embroidery on it, she wore a black bra below it! She was slightly older than I am.

I was in a Sephora, looking at make up brushes a few weeks ago and ended up getting some rollerball perfume for travel usage and as I was standing on line, the woman in front of me, asked if the Sephora people did my make up, I told her no, I did it myself. Now this woman was at least 65 yrs old and she said wow-- this is what I need to do, get some make up and experiment!

I think that after a certain age, all women need make up on because your skin tone changes, your hair changes and just not wearing any makeup makes you look older IMO.

I discovered I look better wearing foundation and blush instead of just wearing blush alone. The foundation evens out the color of your skin to one color, not many. I started wearing foundation with blush about 2 years ago.

I'd show you a photo of me, but you know what would happen here.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@catwhisperer wrote:

@LTT1 wrote:

@catwhisperer

I am your age. I want to enjoy life and live it with zest. Most of the pictures I found on a Google search of "older women celebrities" were runway pictures. I'd love to see more candid, full-length pictures!

Thought it was a surprise that Julia Roberts came up in this group.

also, Lindsay Lohan!

I am appalled when I see how some women go out in public. It's like they just don't care anymore. I refuse to even go to the grocery store without styling my hair and putting makeup on. Many times I have had total strangers come up to me and compliment me on my hair or something I am wearing. I try to take pride in my appearance.

Going to the supermarket is always an adventure and great material for what not to wear or how to look on a Saturday or any day!!

Waiting in the deli section to be called on- I saw a woman wearing a decent T shirt in a off white color with some cute embroidery on it, she wore a black bra below it! She was slightly older than I am.

I was in a Sephora, looking at make up brushes a few weeks ago and ended up getting some rollerball perfume for travel usage and as I was standing on line, the woman in front of me, asked if the Sephora people did my make up, I told her no, I did it myself. Now this woman was at least 65 yrs old and she said wow-- this is what I need to do, get some make up and experiment!

I think that after a certain age, all women need make up on because your skin tone changes, your hair changes and just not wearing any makeup makes you look older IMO.

I discovered I look better wearing foundation and blush instead of just wearing blush alone. The foundation evens out the color of your skin to one color, not many. I started wearing foundation with blush about 2 years ago.

I'd show you a photo of me, but you know what would happen here.

I find this post rather disturbing... In fact, the entire thread disturbing...who cares how other people dress. If you want to put a facade on  and get all dressed up to go to the grocery store...go for it, what does that have to do with a woman who chooses to wear a black bra? Fine if it makes you feel better, but why talk like other people are less than because they do not dress to your standards?  Take pride in your appearance without putting others down. 

Honored Contributor

@June222

I wish more people would dress like they give a darn. Sadly, I see more of the 'I got dressed in the dark' wardrobe where ever I go.

We are becoming or have become a nation of  'the regular guy' look.

Most people whether they are aware of it or not, do people watch and form impressions in the first 10-15 seconds of meeting or seeing anyone. It's just something our brain does.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

Sally Fields and Joy look good because they DO dress youthfully.  Diane Keaton has a young more funky look that works for her. You can be conservative and still youthful at any age.