Honored Contributor

Who is the average GILI customer?

I wonder who the average Gili customer is. What's the average age range for GILI buyers as compared to Q's other fashion lines? Are the buyers younger or thinner or better educated than the average Denim & Co buyer? I've only ordered one GILI item since the inception of the line and the item did not flatter. I returned it. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Who is the average GILI customer?

@Mindy D I ordered & loved more Gili items when Lisa Robertson was involved with the line than I do now.  I found that I kept 3 out of 4 of the items I received & today I order very infrequently as I'm not as found of the items presented as I was previously - it could also be that since I'm retired I'm not dressing the same as I did when I worked for Juvenile Court.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm no fashionista for sure but I do have a couple of her maxi dresses which I love and they fit very well but I'm tall.

Not a kid at middle 50's, yes I have a degree and work as a professional but these were not for the office.

I do watch online presentations but not tv. Her line isn't the usual Q offering.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D 

It would never occur to me to wonder about other customers of a brand. It isn’t anything that matters to me. Why does it matter to you?

Esteemed Contributor

I watched some of the GILI show the other day .......not a fan of this line.....seems like everything is TIGHT fitting, too many zippers, asymetricals, etc.  And nothing seems to 

coordinate within the fashions they present....and way overpriced.  Surprised it has lasted so long at the Q

Honored Contributor

Don't think you'll get accurate info here.  The posters are only a tiny majority of the people that purchase.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D  Interesting question. I've often wondered what age/type of women wears certain lines. I wore different types of clothing over the years depending on where I was in life. Ran the gamit from suits to jeans. Now retired its jeans, and leasure wear. I look at some of the current lines on QVC and think would I ever wear that if I was working etc.  GILI I think I bought something early in the launch but not since. Doesn't appeal to me. Either does SG or Logo and not thin enough for leggings. 

Honored Contributor

not sure why this is being asked, but i will play along.  have a number of GILI items from when it first began and i am still buying items in the line......so that is about 8 years now.....i am 58 and a size large.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I would say, in general, the woman that's interested in Gili is someone that's not trying to hide their figure. They're not buying into the whole 'cover it all up no one should know you have curves' mentality that the Q seems to push with the majority of their lines but I blame the buyers not the vendors.

I love my faux leather jacket that I picked up at a deep discount but the two sleeveless tops I purchased on sale we're not great quality. I didn't buy anything while Lisa was at the helm

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

These are very important questions that retailers and designers need to know so they can target their products to the right demographics who will buy their products.

There's a great deal of market research performed to get those answers.  

I think Lisa's styles were for an older age group, 35 to 60 since QVC was still targeting Boomers at that time.

Jill doesn't seem to be designing for any one age group.  I see classics and trendy, currently, some pieces for a younger age group.  

This line I think was originally designed for the tall thin woman with a higher income, but I'm seeing some pieces that all body types can wear.  Lisa's styles were often too body hugging.  Some of Jill's are more relaxed.

In the past, I'd say college educated women wore more classic styles; however, it depends on the discipline or major.  Today, anything goes. 

Generally, college educated women with higher wages have the money to spend on higher priced clothing.  I'm sure QVC did research on Gili and found out if their customer base would buy it. 

I think Lisa was the perfect figure for this line.  She could sell it.  Jill, not at all.  (Just my opinion. Not speaking for anyone else.)