Regular Contributor

Who do you want to hear from: Vendor or Host?

Guess I night be one of few, that hate to hear host talk over vendor.  I think the venor

knows about the product then the host does.

However, have noticed the MBR seems to take over conversation on each show I

have seen, because I turn it off. Just because a person has been with a company

several years, does ;not make her the best.

This post will be moved, I am sure. Butt I feel better just saying it.

Valued Contributor

Re: Who do you want to hear from: Vendor or Host?

[ Edited ]

Host.  i don't see any need for the vendor.  If the host knew their products that would be all you would need. I remember when they never had vendors on the air and I liked it much better.

Honored Contributor

It won't ever change because her garments sell well. Until sales go down, I suspect it will continue. 

Honored Contributor

both equally.......there is a reason why two people are there giving us information and suggestions.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I will say any vendor except Susan Graver. The hosts have become so annoying, I can barely watch any of them. Honestly, there are very few hosts I can stand to watch. QVC has gone DOWNhill............

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I feel a LOT of the hosts talk over the guests.  If the vendor is new, I can see why the host would maybe need to step in a bit more....uncertainty, nerves, etc.  But when a vendor has appeared on QVC many times, he/she should be knowledgeable enough about the product that they are able to carry the conversation without the host stepping all over them.

On a side note, I do wish some of the hosts (and vendors) did a better job at being "genuine."  When there is such an over-the-top "gushing" over something and loud screaming of the voice, I just turn it.  It doesn't come off as real...just annoying. You can be attentive, polite, and enthusiastic without being fake.  It almost makes me question the quality of the product; almost as if they don't really like it, so they just put on a big act!

Respected Contributor

I think if the host did a good professional job that would be all that us needed but so many hosts talk about everything except the product / just give us information not really interested in your idle chatter.  Exception being Louis of Linea he is great giving all the necessary details.  For me Carolyn provides every detail needed on each item - does a great job.  Just my opinion.

Honored Contributor

The Vendors may know the most about the product, but the Hosts know the most about presenting on air. Some vendors could easily do an entire show on their own without help. Others need more help or they would ramble on, not get across the information that customers need, run out of time, or get into the weeds on details we don't need because they are so knowledgeable and passionate about their products. Some Vendors think they could run things on their own, but wind up going off the rails and the Host has to force her or his way back in and get them back on track. Some Hosts do sometimes steamroll a Vendor.

So sometimes I want to hear more from the Vendor and sometimes I want to hear more from the Host - it really just depends on the people up there.

I'll add this, as well. I design, develop, create, and deliver or facilitate training. I work with subject matter experts, usually engineers, to create the training in terms that non-engineers can understand and make sure only the parts that apply to their jobs are included. (You don't need to know how an internal combustion engine works to be able to drive your car.) If the engineers do the actual training presentations, then I facilitate, which is very much like playing Host to a Vendor. I have to keep them to the relevant information, make sure they don't veer into the weeds, and ensure they stay on track with the timing and the agenda. Some are easier to work with than others and the ones who are harder to work with are the ones I have to be more aggressive with or we will be in that room for 4 hours and never get past the first 1/4 of the content or get time for the hands-on learning the people in class need to actually learn. When the Hosts get aggressive, I totally get it. 

Honored Contributor

I don't mind most of the vendors, the ones I don't care for are actually QVC employees like MCM on the kitchen shows.   He's ok but why do you need him & DV?  Why do we need an "on air personality" plus a host?    What do the hosts do when not on the air that they can't learn about the products.   I haven't seen anything yet that's rocket science.

@Happydays wrote:

Guess I night be one of few, that hate to hear host talk over vendor.  I think the venor

knows about the product then the host does.

However, have noticed the MBR seems to take over conversation on each show I

have seen, because I turn it off. Just because a person has been with a company

several years, does ;not make her the best.

This post will be moved, I am sure. Butt I feel better just saying it.

Valued Contributor

I want to hear only from the person who is going to actually give useful information including sizing, colors, price, autodelivery options, or ezpay.  I do not need ridiculous banter and chatter, or someone talking over the other.  Some products do not require two people to present.  A vaccuum, for example, is self-explanatory. A pair of headphones or a toy are other examples.  I do not want opinions, I only want the facts.  I also do not care how many units have been sold, or the flip side, how many units are left.

Most of their "designers" know their own products, inspirations, etc. and have presented long enough on the Q that there is no need for a "host".  They both hear the producers, I think, in their ear pieces why not just let the vendor go on and be directed along by those behind-the-scenes people?

Just a pet peeve:  I do not need any host telling me during a GIFT SHOW presentation how "this would be a great gift". I know what and WHY I am buying.  If that is the only reason someone is on the screen, then they are not necessary.