Respected Contributor

I noticed DC has a Boho Skirt after Linea's sold 1000's

Valued Contributor

I just found the dress on Chico's, and it is pretty much a duplicate for the Graver one but at a higher clearance price of $74.98. I did not pay attention to the presentation, but clearly it is either an item that was bought by QVC with Susan's name slapped on it, or designed by her and sold to other companies. I am a little disappointed either way. I understand that Isaac is now just a spokesperson for his line, and that probably the only true designer on QVC is LDO for Linea, but I truly thought Susan did design what she presented. 

Respected Contributor

so many designers sell identical merchandise.  happens all the time.  the runways dictate what will be in style and the different stores modify the designs to fit their customers needs.

Respected Contributor

"there is nothing new under the sun" I do not remember the book of the Bible but it was a thought then and remains so today .

If one lives long enough you see fashions revived that all thought were dead -the good , bad , & the ugly! Smiley Happy

Right after the academy awards there are 'copies' made of the favorable gowns shown on the entertainment news and elsewhere.

It is still debated whether it is the chicken or the egg that came first.

Honored Contributor

Everyone copies everyone, @Carolm

I had a dress very much like that in the late 60s, only mine was much more tent-shaped or extremely A-line.

By the way, copyright (not copywrite) protection can be had for fabric patterns/design, but not for the design of an article of clothing.  It's a complicated field.  You do not always need to actually register your copyright with the US Copyright Office to gain the protection.  Once something is considered "published," it is protected (provided other rules apply).  Again, complicated.  Welcome to the wide world of intellectual property.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

No matter what, who, when, where, why, I like the chiffon overlay dress! 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Carolm wrote:

I happened to catch this morning's show with SG and one of the items featured was a printed dress with a sheer chiffon overlay.  Soon afterward, I was looking at Chico's website and saw the very same dress for sale.  I couldn't tell if the color was the same, but the style, print and fabric certainly looked exactly alike.  So how does this work?  Is she designing for other companies, or did her team copy a design they saw in the market place.  I realize there could be design similaries between companies, but this particular dress is unusual enough to be noticeable and I doubt that two different designers would use the same fabric and pattern on the same styled dress.  Has anyone ever come across this situation? 

@Carolm

I'm speculating that it usually starts with the company's Buyers selecting the fabrics and prints for the styles they will be selling for any given season.  

The only way to avoid this would be for a designer to have "copyrighted" or exclusive prints for their garments.

@Tinkrbl44

you can't copywrite or patent clothing designs just the trademark (think RL's polo pony) on the design or specific characters (think Disney) and artwork

@Andreatoo

A few years ago, I purchased a beautiful Dennis Basso coat -- TSV -- with a print lining and a matching scarf.   Many times during the day, Dennis said the print was "proprietary", as he had personally designed it, and you wouldn't see it anywhere else.  I don't know what the correct term is for a designer owning a design, but Dennis talked about it that day.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44

Dennis Basso clothes are manufactured by Tiger J LLC and that company makes their own fabrics like faux fur. Tiger J LLC makes clothes for other celeb lines and other clothing lines like Serena Williams and Giuliana Rancic. 

Honored Contributor

I'm only guessing that there are only a few higher quality clothing manufacturing facilities that good designers use.  Plenty of high-volume mediocre manufacturing facilities.    

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44

Yes, the print itself but not the garment design.

Take the wrap dress for example; everyone does it sans recourse. Now if DVF had original artwork on the fabric then use of the artwork would an infringement