Super Contributor

I happened to catch this morning's show with SG and one of the items featured was a printed dress with a sheer chiffon overlay.  Soon afterward, I was looking at Chico's website and saw the very same dress for sale.  I couldn't tell if the color was the same, but the style, print and fabric certainly looked exactly alike.  So how does this work?  Is she designing for other companies, or did her team copy a design they saw in the market place.  I realize there could be design similaries between companies, but this particular dress is unusual enough to be noticeable and I doubt that two different designers would use the same fabric and pattern on the same styled dress.  Has anyone ever come across this situation? 

Honored Contributor

That style is everywhere this year.  I don't know how that type of thing happens.  Obviously clothing designers/manufacturers collaborate about colors and styles long before things hit the stores.  But that chiffon overlay style is everywhere, at all price points.

Honored Contributor

@Carolm wrote:

I happened to catch this morning's show with SG and one of the items featured was a printed dress with a sheer chiffon overlay.  Soon afterward, I was looking at Chico's website and saw the very same dress for sale.  I couldn't tell if the color was the same, but the style, print and fabric certainly looked exactly alike.  So how does this work?  Is she designing for other companies, or did her team copy a design they saw in the market place.  I realize there could be design similaries between companies, but this particular dress is unusual enough to be noticeable and I doubt that two different designers would use the same fabric and pattern on the same styled dress.  Has anyone ever come across this situation? 

@Carolm

I'm speculating that it usually starts with the company's Buyers selecting the fabrics and prints for the styles they will be selling for any given season.  

The only way to avoid this would be for a designer to have "copyrighted" or exclusive prints for their garments.

Respected Contributor

Re: Who copied whom???

[ Edited ]

Doesn't it all start with whatever trends the expensive designers come up with, then it trickles down?  Like seeing something in a fashion magazine & later seeing a knock-off of the design at Penney's, etc.

Valued Contributor

We were just looking at a Soft Suroundings catalog here at work, and they offered the same style dress.

We loved it.

Respected Contributor

Re: Who copied whom???

[ Edited ]

Sometimes the same garment manufactuer is used, using the same fabric for the same or similar item. Years ago, I bought from QVC a Dialogue top. Then a few months later, also on QVC, there was a Marc Bower top with the exact same fabric and color/print, with just a different neckline. Susan Graver used to mention that she and George Simonton had the same manufacturer.

Honored Contributor

Everybody copies everybody - prime example is logo.  Look in any catelog, go to any store B&M and online you see this style everywhere with any label. 

Another example is the ever so tiresome hi-low hems, sharkbites, angled, everybody does this too. 

SG outright admits she travels to Europe often to see who's wearing what there and then brings the same ideas/styles and sews her labels into the same items.  She also thinks she has that polyester liq knit is her invention.  Poly/nylon/rayon has been around for eons, certainly nothing new. 

My opinion, I didn't like that dress but I certainly don't stand in anyone's way of enjoying it for themselves.

Super Contributor

Are you referring to the dress that looks like it is covered with fern leaves?  I didn't care for the large leaves.  If the dress was a solid color or a smaller print AND wasn't sleeveless, I would be tempted to buy it.  I did like it when Susan brought the outer layer up as a shawl. 

I know my opinion wasn't what the topic asked but I did have to comment because the style was almost something I would consider (especially since I think length was a little longer than usual).

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Carolm wrote:

@Carolm

I'm speculating that it usually starts with the company's Buyers selecting the fabrics and prints for the styles they will be selling for any given season.  

The only way to avoid this would be for a designer to have "copyrighted" or exclusive prints for their garments.

@Tinkrbl44

you can't copywrite or patent clothing designs just the trademark (think RL's polo pony) on the design or specific characters (think Disney) and artwork

Respected Contributor

Things probably come of the production line and have different lables slapped on them. Makes me wonder exactly how much "designing" Susan actually does.