Contributor

Re: White before Memorial Day

any stylist or designer will tell you that there are NO RULES ANYMORE. we should all wear what we want when we want and that's what I do. I don't dress to please anyone but me. step out of the box and wear that white ANYTIME.

Contributor

Wear it when you want. I've been known to wear sandals in the snow on Easter.

Trusted Contributor

Here in No Cal we've already had some days with 80+ degree weather. I'd wear white if I felt like it, even if we didn't have warmer temps. Suit yourself. Life is short...make yourself happy.

Member Since 11/20/2008
Respected Contributor

Yes, if it is a nice spring day wear it now!

Super Contributor

I wore a winter white coat today with a winter white cashmere sweater underneath and black pants. I wear winter white all year round.....

Super Contributor

On 4/2/2014 evelyner said:

In California, no one cares.

The rule doesn't exist in AZ either.

Snowbirds bring their white clothing here when they come in the winter!

Esteemed Contributor

I live in Arizona and have been wearing sandals to work for almost a month. Who cares, if you like it wear it. Others might just do the same.
Honored Contributor

after the long winter most of us have had, I would definitely wear white as soon as you want to! I wore white pants yesterday to go to a meeting but I wore a black jacket and shoes.....I really don't think too many observe the when-to-wear-white rules anymore....life is too short!

Honored Contributor

On 4/3/2014 happy housewife said: I have always worn white tops all year round - just not white bottoms or shoes. Have you guys not worn a white shirt with a sweater in the winter? I really don't get the rules a they seem to be laid out on this BB - and would not count on them as being correct information. Here in florida where we live now - white is an all year round color.

It was never about white shirts. It was about white shoes, purses and pants. And if you think about it, stark white shoes, bags and pants simply don't look "right" against a barren, dank, winter sky and landscape. Too stark, too much contrast. When the deeper fall colors start to come back, the browns and earth colors (which would look heavy in summer light) come out and the white and pastels get put away.

Part of it is the bright light of color, some of it is the more saturated colors fit better with the earth in the winter. Most "rules" have some background in sensible behavior. Since there is little of that now, the rules have gone out the door.

To me, is it nice to dress in sync with Mother Earth and the Seasons. If you don't have seasons, I'm sorry!

Trusted Contributor

As far as I'm concerned, you can wear white whenever the weather is warm and springy. It was in the 80's in Atlanta today, and I wouldn't raise an eyebrow if I saw someone wearing white.