Honored Contributor

Re: White before Memorial Day

Honestly, if you're following a rule and can't explain why it's a rule or when and how it needs to be followed, you might want to ask yourself some bigger questions.

Rules about color are old fashioned and silly. That one is a leftover marker of social class, so if that's important to you, by all means, follow the rules to let people know you're one of them, even if you can't explain the rule.

Trusted Contributor

On 4/2/2014 ChynnaBlue said:

Honestly, if you're following a rule and can't explain why it's a rule or when and how it needs to be followed, you might want to ask yourself some bigger questions.

Rules about color are old fashioned and silly. That one is a leftover marker of social class, so if that's important to you, by all means, follow the rules to let people know you're one of them, even if you can't explain the rule.

It is also a leftover of a time when the air was full of coal dust from factories and home heating especially during the winter months so white could not be kept clean. This is a rule that makes no sense especially in hotter areas of the country.

Respected Contributor

Don't do it! You will regret it when the fashion police arrest you, and your family will never see you again! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

On 4/2/2014 santorini said:

I'm ok with white anything on top, but not pants or shoes. Those will wait til after Easter.Smile

The "Southern rule" on white ............ not before Easter ........... and not after Labor Day!

Super Contributor

Wear it when you feel you want to and in good health!

Honored Contributor

Unless there is snow on the ground it is fine to wear white pretty much year round. The old ""rules"" were officially tossed out years ago.

Honored Contributor

I know it's horribly old fashioned but I can't do it.

I never wear white shoes, white belt or carry a white handbag so that's not an issue.

Respected Contributor

I never knew the reason and appreciate the explanation. I guess I'm just a creature of habit because wearing white just feels summery to me and if I'm cold I just don't feel like wearing it. Here in Michigan I'm just not ready to "summerize", but if I was somewhere warm or especially HOT, I'd break it out and not think about the calendar.

Super Contributor

I wear white primarily in the summer but have no problem wearing white at any time through the year. I thought that rule was long gone.

Respected Contributor

I refuse to let someone who doesn't pay for my clothes determine when I can wear them. Wear your white whenever you feel like it. It may be too warm after Memorial Day to wear a jacket anyway so then when are you going to wear it?