Super Contributor

Re: White before Memorial Day

On 4/3/2014 Sooner said:
On 4/3/2014 happy housewife said: I have always worn white tops all year round - just not white bottoms or shoes. Have you guys not worn a white shirt with a sweater in the winter? I really don't get the rules a they seem to be laid out on this BB - and would not count on them as being correct information. Here in florida where we live now - white is an all year round color.

It was never about white shirts. It was about white shoes, purses and pants. And if you think about it, stark white shoes, bags and pants simply don't look "right" against a barren, dank, winter sky and landscape. Too stark, too much contrast. When the deeper fall colors start to come back, the browns and earth colors (which would look heavy in summer light) come out and the white and pastels get put away.

Part of it is the bright light of color, some of it is the more saturated colors fit better with the earth in the winter. Most "rules" have some background in sensible behavior. Since there is little of that now, the rules have gone out the door.

To me, is it nice to dress in sync with Mother Earth and the Seasons. If you don't have seasons, I'm sorry!

your theory makes sense where you live.

Here, the sky is turquoise and things are green. Winter is our best flower season. The sun is fairly intense and we seldom have a "barren, dank winter sky and landscape".

That's why these one size fits all rules are just plain silly. We have seasons. They're just not like your seasons. We never had your "rules" here. It would be helpful for you to open your mind a little. This is a big country with different climates, cultures and habits. That really is a good thing.

Super Contributor

You're fine.

Maybe someone will clarify this, but my thought is that the rationale behind putting away whites for winter is that there is mud and slush in the off-season.

White is appropriate any day the weather is warm & sunny.

Honored Contributor

On 4/3/2014 azterry! said:
On 4/3/2014 Sooner said:
On 4/3/2014 happy housewife said: I have always worn white tops all year round - just not white bottoms or shoes. Have you guys not worn a white shirt with a sweater in the winter? I really don't get the rules a they seem to be laid out on this BB - and would not count on them as being correct information. Here in florida where we live now - white is an all year round color.

It was never about white shirts. It was about white shoes, purses and pants. And if you think about it, stark white shoes, bags and pants simply don't look "right" against a barren, dank, winter sky and landscape. Too stark, too much contrast. When the deeper fall colors start to come back, the browns and earth colors (which would look heavy in summer light) come out and the white and pastels get put away.

Part of it is the bright light of color, some of it is the more saturated colors fit better with the earth in the winter. Most "rules" have some background in sensible behavior. Since there is little of that now, the rules have gone out the door.

To me, is it nice to dress in sync with Mother Earth and the Seasons. If you don't have seasons, I'm sorry!

Here, the sky is turquoise and things are green. Winter is our best flower season. The sun is fairly intense and we seldom have a "barren, dank winter sky and landscape".

That's why these one size fits all rules are just plain silly. We have seasons. They're just not like your seasons. We never had your "rules" here. It would be helpful for you to open your mind a little. This is a big country with different climates, cultures and habits. That really is a good thing.

OPEN my mind? I described winter where I live--I didn't say anything about where YOU live. You made a big unfair leap in saying that. . .

Trusted Contributor

On 4/2/2014 VCamp2748 said:

Are those old rules still around? Sheesh. Wear it whenever you want to.

You'll find my heart at the Rainbow Bridge. Smiley Sad
Respected Contributor

On 4/2/2014 skezel said:

I am wearing white pants today. See no problem in wearing white jacket now, I am in SC and it is 81 degrees. Enjoy your clothes, wear what you like, don't waste a second worrying about what someone else thinks!

This! I'm also in SC, and if I waited to wear a white jacket or cardigan til after Memorial Day...it wouldn't get worn at all!

Super Contributor

On 4/4/2014 Sooner said:
On 4/3/2014 azterry! said:
On 4/3/2014 Sooner said:

OPEN my mind? I described winter where I live--I didn't say anything about where YOU live. You made a big unfair leap in saying that. . .

You said: Most "rules" have some background in sensible behavior. Since there is little of that now, the rules have gone out the door.

I don't see it stated anywhere in your post that you are referring to you and you alone. Your statement seemed a broad overview of what everyone should do.

If that wasn't your intention, I apologize.

Honored Contributor

I'm in Northern Va. It is cloudy, overcast, ugh! I like sunny days! Really affects my mood!

I pulled out some of my white pants from the summer closets. They are in my eye's view when I pick out pants. I just can't wear them yet. I haven't seen anyone wearing them.

My friend (another widow, but 10 years younger) and I often eat at Chipolte's where young people come to eat. It is only 1 mile or less from several High Schools. These kids are so warm blooded, but I still haven't seen any white pants from them.

Of course these kids live in shorts (even sometimes walking through the snow) even in cold weather. They come in from their LaCross games, baseball, etc. There is nothing like the energy you get from being around young people! I love it!

OK, so bla! Bla! I still don't see white pants (really, no white pants of any sort).

I lost a lot of weight since last year, so I've been buying 2 and 3 sizes smaller. I like white pants that are thicker material.

I guess I'll wait another few more weeks before I wear them. I think I'd stick out like a 'sore thumb' so to speak if I wear them now.

I am more excited to wear my flowered and designed long pants (some are Issac's). In the 60's we always wore pants with wonderful designs. I sometimes get them on HSN (Twiggy sells them there).

So, to sum up (phew!) I can't wait to wear my flowered long pants!

Love you guys, you guys in the daytime get back to what this forum is all about. It's not about being mean about people, it's about styles, etc.

You guys rock!

Super Contributor

On 4/2/2014 Teller111 said:

Hi everyone, I am dying to wear my new Isaac Mizrahi jacket! I was wondering if it's ok to wear a white jacket before Memorial Day? Thanks in advance for your opinions!! Smiley Happy

Of course it perfectly okay to wear white before Memorial Day.

That "rule" of when we're supposed to wear what, is so antiquated and stupid.

You can wear white whenever you want.

You can wear white 365 days a year.

Wear what makes YOU happy, and to heck with everyone else.

Was Yuban, then changed to Plaid Pants due to forum upgrade, and apparently, I'm back to being Yuban.
Super Contributor

The saying is you can not wear white shoes, white belt or white bag until after Memorial Day. You are ok with a white jacket.

Valued Contributor

On 4/2/2014 evelyner said:

In California, no one cares.

Unless it is cold and rainy like this morning. I wouldn't put on white pants or shoes until it is warmer. I go with the temp, not the month. Winter white (pants) is something I don't do.