Respected Contributor

Re: White Sneakers for Men

[ Edited ]

I always thought white tennis shoes were a basic part of every wardrobe.

Watching QVC alerted me to the fact that there are other options!

So I stopped wearing white shoes sometime in the 90s, and I haven't looked back.

It's true that many older men (and women) are still stuck in the groove, though.

Regular Contributor

If a lot of older men are all sporting white tennis shoes then it must be in style for them to do so. " In style" means what a majority have adopted as their look. You are not in that group so it would not be in style perhaps for you.

Valued Contributor

I don't think it's a faux paus, obviously they're comfortable in wearing them. As long as they don't wear them with their suit that's fine. I also think maybe some of them are color blind or the white ones are cheaper than others.  Sure some of the gentlemen are on fixed incomes and purchase what is in their budget.  Plus they've probably had the white tennies for ten years.

Helen852
Honored Contributor
I see nothing wrong with white tennis shoes for men, or women, at any age. I prefer them to all the neon colors people are wearing now that look like they should be in kindergarten. Sorry if that offends those who like them. Just my opinion.
"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

....they probably wear them because they don't like those garish, blindingly bright, multicolored sneakers.  My husband is 55, that's not old to me.  He dresses well and prefers white sneakers for 3 out of the 4 seasons.  He likes them bright white and spotless.  It's just what he prefers and he likes white tees and white polos with his jeans and khakis.  I think it's a good look.  When it gets sloppy outside, he wears black sneakers....but they have to be all black, no color at all. 

Honored Contributor

Re: White Sneakers for Men

[ Edited ]

My personal favs (and I'm 61) are Tiger by Asics. They come in lots of interesting color combos and they are easier to keep clean than all white sneakers, IMO.

I have a pair that are olive, orange and teal blue...I'm wearing them to death!

My late uncle golfed 5 days a week and always wore white sneakers. I think there might have been some kind of dress code at his club...I'm not a golfer, does anyone know?

Honored Contributor

My opinion is that these are not only an easy option, but also they are a youthful and comfortable option. My Easy Spirit athletic shoes support my feet and cushion my spine. DH needs a wide 2E ... New Balance has 2E ❤️💜💙😁

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner ~ I guess that makes me old.   I wear white sneakers year 'round and so does everyone I know.  They're comfortable and very warm this time of year.  And I really don't care what you and others think.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

If you could ask a martian who looks more ridiculous - the person wearing the neon color shoes that look like they are for toddlers or the person wearing white athletic shoes - i am betting they would think those neon color shoes look most ridiculous on an adult person. Of course - this is just my opinion, but I'm sticking with it. My DH and I both wear whitye athletic shoes, and right now, because I have tendonitis in my foot I am wearing them all the time. I haven't had sandals on for a month.

Respected Contributor

Classic, crisp, white. Ralph Lauren.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield