Honored Contributor

Re: When you wear cardigans or jackets...

Leave them open.   I'm built like a stove pipe, and the more casual look is best for me.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Leave open ... I'm a throwback to the 50's, 60's sweater set ensemble (  loved that look in the old movies  ...  ala Grace Kelly, June Allyson, et. al.)   I  always look for cardigans with matching tanks or tees, and leave them open for that dramatic effect.

I pretty much do the same with my knit jackets ... most have matching tops.

Honored Contributor

@SoX

I love twinsets - cardis with coordinating shells (especially short sleeved shells)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

do you:

1) button/zip them up

2) partially button/zip them up

3) leave them unbuttoned/unzipped

And can you tell us why this is your preference? Cat Happy

It varies. Most of the time I wear them open. 

I've been losing weight over the last few years (lots to lose & it has taken lots of time!) and cardigans/jackets/blouses have been a huge help in stretching my wardrobe while shrinking. 

I discovered I could get more wear out of these pieces by buying them just a little too small. I'd wear them open anyway but, when first purchased, they would not quite meet in the front to button or zip. Or they would fit tight if I did.

I rarely zip zippers on things (hoodies, bomber style jackets) at all. Usually only if it is worn for warmth & I'm cold. I never wear cardigans completely buttoned. Usually open, maybe one button buttoned. It is usually the button at the waist or the top button. Depends on the style and fit. 

I like the look of a contrasting tank top showing and leave the cardigan/jacket open even when they can be closed. I think it is a nice pop of color/contrast & also slimming. When they start to get too big I find I need to button one button. It just looks better, less sloppy. There is a point where the piece stops looking nice & neat and starts looking baggy & too big. I have a few pieces in this category right now. I love them but they will be taken to consignment soon. I did not realize just how big they had gotten.  

Trusted Contributor

I don't really have a preference and so all of the above depending on the cardi or jacket and the look I want to achieve.

Honored Contributor

I wear a cardigan or jacket for warmth, so I would button or zipper it.  If it wasn't cool enough to do that, I wouldn't wear it.

Respected Contributor

Unless I'm layering for warmth, usually I leave them at least partially open.

If I want a "closed" look I wear a pullover.

I'm not a fan of zippers on sweaters unless it's a heavier sweater jacket.

Super Contributor

I normally button jackets or heavy sweaters if I'm cold. If not, I'd leave them open. 

Honored Contributor

It depends on how I am wearing it.  If it's alone, I zip it up maybe leave open at neck and bottom, if I have a top underneath, I will sometimes wear open, or button a few in the middle.  I normally like the neck and bottom open.

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

All of the above, depending on the item and what I am wearing it with. 

Jackets - Jeans jackets, shirt jackets, blazers almost always open.

Cardigans  - usually 1 or 2 buttons done, or open.

I almost never button or zip all the way, but I do have a couple of winter sweaters that do look best that way, so that's how I wear them. 

"It doesn't matter if the glass is half-full or half-empty as long as you still have the rest of the bottle."