Contributor

Re: When you and your S/O go out together, do you..

Um, no never

Contributor

Hey folks....do you remember going to Prom and coordinating your corsage w/the dress ??OR his tie/cumberbun to the gown?People have been doing this for events for years.Hubby and I coordinate our Halloween costumes and frequently win the contest.Come on folks,lighten up,it's not weird....when it's for a fun time!

Honored Contributor

Certainly not on purpose. In fact, there have been times we ended up very coordinated and one of us changed. I don't care for matching like that.

Honored Contributor

On 6/29/2014 house_cat said:

Well, as often happens, my question was misinterpreted. I wasn't asking if husbands and wives should wear matching outfits.

DH and I are going to a wedding. My dress is tan with black. He wanted to wear a grey suit, but I think his black one will look better considering that I'm wearing tan/black.

Is that kind of coordinating laughable or old fashioned? I guess so based on the responses here.

It wasn't really misinterpreted. You didn't say anything about coordinating for a specific event in your original post. You simply posted a question about coordinating outfits when you go out.

Not even for a wedding would I worry about matching my DH.

Esteemed Contributor

Well, as often happens, my question was misinterpreted. I wasn't asking if husbands and wives should wear matching outfits.

DH and I are going to a wedding. My dress is tan with black. He wanted to wear a grey suit, but I think his black one will look better considering that I'm wearing tan/black.

Is that kind of coordinating laughable or old fashioned? I guess so based on the responses here.

I don't think it's old fashioned and I think it would be nice if your husband would wear the black suit. I think you can take it too far (I'm on the cruise critic forums quite a bit and there's one woman who posts photos of her in her colorful gowns and her husband in a tuxedo with matching ties - I love their photos, but it is very matchy matchy.) However, my 30 year old model beautiful co-worker is at a wedding this weekend - she is wearing a fuschia dress and her husband (a big burly guy) is in a navy striped suit with a matching tie (dark bright pink background with navy design). They are a very striking, modern couple.

You're going to be getting your photo taken - how many opportunities do you get to dress up and do that?

Now - if you tell me you were going to Walmart in matching purple polo tops and khaki's - I think THAT is silly. But, for special occasions, it's nice to coordinate as long as it's not too much to make one or the other uncomfortable.

Honored Contributor

On 6/29/2014 capecdcat1 said:

Hey folks....do you remember going to Prom and coordinating your corsage w/the dress ??OR his tie/cumberbun to the gown?People have been doing this for events for years.Hubby and I coordinate our Halloween costumes and frequently win the contest.Come on folks,lighten up,it's not weird....when it's for a fun time!

well, i dont need to lighten up nor do i need to "match" or "coordinate" with my significant other. i can have fun and enjoy myself even knowing that i may be wearing a hot pink outfit with heels and lots of chunky jewelry and he may be wearing an olive green shirt with a khaki pant with rockports. Wink

...and i didnt go to my prom and i dont dress up for halloween. LOL

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

On 6/29/2014 LipstickDiva said:

It wasn't really misinterpreted. You didn't say anything about coordinating for a specific event in your original post. You simply posted a question about coordinating outfits when you go out.

Not even for a wedding would I worry about matching my DH.

i feel the same way!

he doesnt feel the need to match me AND he likes it when i am the one who "shines".

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

On 6/29/2014 sunshine45 said:
On 6/29/2014 capecdcat1 said:

well, i dont need to lighten up nor do i need to "match" or "coordinate" with my significant other. i can have fun and enjoy myself even knowing that i may be wearing a hot pink outfit with heels and lots of chunky jewelry and he may be wearing an olive green shirt with a khaki pant with rockports. Wink

...and i didnt go to my prom and i dont dress up for halloween. LOL

Hot pink and olive DO coordinate! I don't think hc is talking matching plaid shirts, but rather a cohesive look when walking into a room.

This is what I find ugly and often speaks more about a woman than the man on her arm. When she is dressed to the nines--great outfit, jewelry and handbag and shoes that are drool-worthy--and her BF, SO or spouse looks as if he can't be bothered to dress for the occasion.

Honored Contributor

On 6/30/2014 magicmoodz said:

Hot pink and olive DO coordinate! I don't think hc is talking matching plaid shirts, but rather a cohesive look when walking into a room.

This is what I find ugly and often speaks more about a woman than the man on her arm. When she is dressed to the nines--great outfit, jewelry and handbag and shoes that are drool-worthy--and her BF, SO or spouse looks as if he can't be bothered to dress for the occasion.

There are always forum participators who take the time to understand the intent of the thread and participate cordially, even if they disagree. Then there are those who jump in blind just to say something unkind or antagonistic. Unfortunately, magic, there are a lot of negative nellies here on the fashion forum which is the main reason I don't post here very often any more.

Thanks to you, magic, and all the others who expressed opinions here without laughing or making erroneous assumptions.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

On 6/30/2014 house_cat said:
On 6/30/2014 magicmoodz said:

There are always forum participators who take the time to understand the intent of the thread and participate cordially, even if they disagree. Then there are those who jump in blind just to say something unkind or antagonistic. Unfortunately, magic, there are a lot of negative nellies here on the fashion forum which is the main reason I don't post here very often any more.

Thanks to you, magic, and all the others who expressed opinions here without laughing or making erroneous assumptions.

i happened to be participating cordially and said that matching or coordinating was not for me and my s/o at all and that it doesnt bother me if we look different. i didnt particularly like someone saying to me "lighten up" OR saying that if you dont match/coordinate/be cohesive that you are "ugly" as a couple.

it goes both ways house cat.