Trusted Contributor

When people call in,some will not say a word excepting the host to start talking.Natually Yor are the caller,you must have something to say,just saying.

Valued Contributor

it's actually kind of strange to be on the phone with the host. When I was, I didn't want to interrupt her (it was Katie McGee), so I was waiting for her to talk to me. There is no producer on the phone to give the caller pointers, or say - start talking - Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

Re: When people call in

[ Edited ]

Yes, some callers do seem dumbstruck, responding only to the host's begs for a compliment.  I would probably fare no better - but I wouldn't ask to talk on-air!

Respected Contributor

I called in once many years ago and the only prompt I got was the producer telling me to listen to the show because I would be up next, so I was ready when it was my turn. However, I declined to speak several other times because the wait time was too long. Maybe some of the callers are doing something else while they're waiting for their turns and don't realize it's their turn to speak. Whatever! 

Valued Contributor

I believe there is a pause between what you hear on tv and on the phone.If you listen to the tv,you are lagging behind.It seems like they are always telling people to turn down the tv or radio when they call into shows.

Honored Contributor

You also have to account for the time delay between hearing the host on the phone and hearing yourself on the television.  That's why sometimes the host has to tell the caller to only listen to their phone.  It can be confusing if you're not used to it. 

Honored Contributor

I actually wonder about some of the calls.  That is, are they rehearsed?  Not all of the calls but some of them.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

When people call in..... it's time to tune out.

Esteemed Contributor

@Estates wrote:

I believe there is a pause between what you hear on tv and on the phone.If you listen to the tv,you are lagging behind.It seems like they are always telling people to turn down the tv or radio when they call into shows.

There's always a delay -- in case someone behaves badly.

Respected Contributor

@kivah wrote:

@Estates wrote:

There's always a delay -- in case someone behaves badly.

Well I have a good remedy for that---stop the phone calls!  Can't listen to them, in fact I change the channel as soon as I hear those dreaded words, "Let's go to the phones!"

What benefit are they I ask??