Respected Contributor

Re: When less is more in fashion

Yes I will alter an item to suit me.  On some hooded items the hood is too  heavy, big, or otherwise annoys me.  I remove the hood (not all of it) creating a collar.

Some long sleeve shirts have that tab and button thingie for rolling up the sleeve.  I usually remove the tab and button.

Respected Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Yup, I'm an old school seamstress. I do my own repair work. I hem my own pants, I sew on my own buttons. I just shrug my shoulders when I hear others pay money for someone else to do something so simple.

Not so simple for some ... we all have our own talents.

Occasional Contributor

Absolutely have restyled some things.  In particular, many years ago I purchased Liz Claiborne cardigans from the Q that had a chain detail around the shoulders.  The cardigans are beautiful, loose knit and well made.  Upon wearing a couple of them I realized the chain detail felt restrictive. My thanks to another reviewer who said they were able to carefully remove the chain by snipping the tacking threads with a seam ripper.  A much more wearable button down cardigan and they still look as new as the day I purchased.  Trying to repurpose instead of discard/donate. 

Honored Contributor

I change and improve when I need to.  I prefer to pay for alterations since I work all of the time.

I taught clothing construction and tailoring, and wore only hand stiched Vogue patterns for years.

Respected Contributor

I started sewing in elementary school and within a few years became very good at my craft. Over the years I made countless outfits. (even made lined, wool, maxi coats) I've always done my own alterations. For many years I made Christmas outfits for our Grands.

Times have changed. I still do minor alterations for both my husband and me. Recently he needed pants hemmed for 2 suits. I told him to take them to the tailor.  What was I thinking?  $60 for 2 pairs of pants that needed to be hemmed an inch. And, it took 3 weeks!

I'm at a point in life, rather than alter or restyle, I donate and buy something new.

Honored Contributor

I bought a couple of Logo tops and removed the ruffle from the bottom. I wore the top with the ruffles and my husband thought it looked like a childs top, it was too late to return it so I had to alter it to get some wear out of it. Never again.

Trusted Contributor

@PinkyPetunia wrote:

Yes I will alter an item to suit me.  On some hooded items the hood is too  heavy, big, or otherwise annoys me.  I remove the hood (not all of it) creating a collar.

Some long sleeve shirts have that tab and button thingie for rolling up the sleeve.  I usually remove the tab and button.

@PinkyPetunia I do this also. 

~Jersey Girls don't pump gas~