Esteemed Contributor

When less is more in fashion

I bought a long sleeve knit top by Style & Co this past summer and put it away since it was too hot to wear. So after I changed up my closets and put away my summer clothes, I hung this floral top in my closet. What in the world was I thinking when I bought it? The long sleeves and 2 horizontal rows of ruffles on the upper arm and the twill tape lace that the ruffles were attached too did not stretch so the knit sleeves wouldn't stretch easily when I moved my arms.

So I spent tonight fixing the top and used a seam ripper to remove both tiers of ruffles from the sleeves and now the knit top is comfortable. I think I gained about an inch in circumference in the knit sleeve after I removed the ruffles. What in the world are designers thinking or not thinking when they add ruffles to what is usually a woman's widest part of their upper arm? Less is more when it comes to adding trim to a garment and some designers just don't know when to quit. The top looks much better now than when I bought it. I think the top didn't sell originally because of the poor fitting sleeves and juvenile look of the ruffles.

Have you ever deconstructed or remade an item you bought so that you could actually wear it?

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: When less is more in fashion

Yes I have remodeled clothes more times than I can remember....added and subtracted and restyled to adjust the fit or the style, added snap or button closures , even dyed different colors, removed things I didn’t like as you have done with the removal of the ruffles.

once in a while, the renovations dont work out as well, and the item gets tossed anyway. 🤪

Esteemed Contributor

I do not care for fussy designs, so I have altered things, too! I like thinner fabrics and have gotten LOGO, only to remove those ridiculous looking ruffles! I've changed hemlines, taken in seams when they were too boxy looking, just whatever needed to be altered to suit my tastes.

Good think we know how to use a needle and thread! And boy, do I know how to use a seam ripper!

Esteemed Contributor

@TY-- I'm chuckling because I've had those "what was I thinking!?" moments myself.  My mom was good at sewing, ripping apart, and fixing.  She was always shortening slacks for me, taking in waistbands, etc.  Unfortunately, I did not inherit her sewing talents, so now I have to buy garments that fit exactly.

But, recently, I purchased a blazer I loved that fit perfectly in the shoulders, sleeves, everywhere, except it was too big around the mid-section when buttoned.  I just moved the 2 buttons over about 3/4 inch.  Not only does it fit perfectly all over now, but the plaids match up much better both horizontally and vertically. 

An accident, I assure you.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

That's how I became a Tailor. In high school I didn't have alot of clothes, so at night I would stay up and remake my clothes so I  would have something new to wear. 

Honored Contributor

Me too!!! but after having a double mastectomy due to cancer and not having new "girls" constructed--the clothing I have does not fit my flat chest---princess seams, darts are not my friend anymore---so finding anything that looks good is a job--have given away most of my pre cancer stuff. I used to sew alot of my clothing but don't have the ability or knowlege of how to tailor things to fit---I wear tees shirts and camis mostly  with a big shirt / vest over top. I'm ok with my flat chest tho------Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes. I am glad I learned to sew when younger . 

I frequently have to shorten items.

The last several years I have wacked off the backside and hemmed a top that has a really long back. I can wear  one just slightly longer but do not care for big square 'chunks' hanging down in the back. These were mainly from Evine/HQ that I had not paid careful enough attention to when shopping. But, I saw SG offered a couple yesterday. 

I have this summer hemmed some of the elbow length sleeves because they annoyingly were just a little below my elbow. I also cut off the sleeves from a blouse that had flared ruffles at the sleeve end as they just got on my nerves. They looked lovely and graceful on the website.

Honored Contributor

Not in the way that you did.  I'm not going to criticize designers or retailers.  That would be silly; they see the trends and design and sell the clothing they think and hope customers want.  If I buy something and then have buyer's remorse, that's totally my fault.  Yes, indeed I have had buyer's remorse and I have made the mistake of not trying things on when I shop in b&m stores.  In the summer of 2018 when cold shoulder styles were having a moment, I bought two.  They were a little dressy, not sparkly but the material is like  chiffon.  I didn't wear them in 2018 and they got pushed to the back of my closet and I found them (tags still on) when I re-organized my closet in this past spring.  I didn't care for the sleeves of either top.  I was going to donate them but then I thought I could cut off the sleeves above my elbow and wear the tops under jackets or cardiagans.  And that's what I did.  Took a pair of very sharp scissors cut the sleeves to a few inches above my elbow and I wore them under my jean jackets on cool spring and  summer nights when we went out. One is a wine color and the other is white so I'll be able to wear them under cardigans or my black blazer this winter.   

Honored Contributor

Yup, I'm an old school seamstress. I do my own repair work. I hem my own pants, I sew on my own buttons. I just shrug my shoulders when I hear others pay money for someone else to do something so simple.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@TY wrote:

I bought a long sleeve knit top by Style & Co ..(snip) ... So I spent tonight fixing the top and used a seam ripper to remove 

Have you ever deconstructed or remade an item you bought so that you could actually wear it?

---------------------------------------------

@TY 

That's the story of my life!   I've removed all the ruching on SG's tops, remade her "turtleneck" collars, removed ruffles, removed "hips" from knit pants, redesigned hi-lo hemlines, shark-bites, etc.