Occasional Contributor

Re: When do you wear jewelry?!?

@Bird mama I know!! I’m only 33 but I remember those days and what my grandma and mom taught me about when and when not to wear jewelry! I think that’s why I’m having such a hard time wearing anything but studs to work!
Occasional Contributor

@beach-mom your a sweety!! Ya I think I just need to get over my self consciousness and wear what I have and own it!!
Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I notice I don't see them selling those gold herringbone necklaces very much anymore.  DD kinked hers even when she was careful.  Another one off to the great melting smelter in New York.  

Jewelry .......just like clothes.  They do go out of fashion.  So Omegas, the Herringbone, etc are gone.  But most women wear jewelry nearly all the time. I was in the state park this morning with my husband...hiking.  But I still wore jewerly.

Honored Contributor

Maybe it would be easier for me to say when I don’t wear jewelry: when I’m sleeping, showering, at the gym or doing work in my studio making jewelry (I’m wearing jewelry to paint, etc.). I think if people saw me out and about without my studs, bangles, etc., they’d wonder what happened. Robbery perhaps?

Jewelry is a part of my persona. I rarely match it to outfits or occasions and only have turquoise, silver, diamond studs (& other pieces) or pearls...all neutrals. I wear jewelry  that has personal, sentimental meaning and those I’ve made or purchased myself. Since I’m not into trends, age appropriate, etc., I just enjoy what I want to wear and when. 

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@depglass wrote:

I notice I don't see them selling those gold herringbone necklaces very much anymore.  DD kinked hers even when she was careful.  Another one off to the great melting smelter in New York.  

Jewelry .......just like clothes.  They do go out of fashion.  So Omegas, the Herringbone, etc are gone.  But most women wear jewelry nearly all the time. I was in the state park this morning with my husband...hiking.  But I still wore jewerly.

@songbird   The original omega necklaces were designed and made with the only equipment the factories then had available. They’ve improved somewhat, but still kink unless you hang them on a hook or lay them flat. IMO, they’re a pain you know where and there are so many other beautiful links that are strong, easy to care for and have no kinking issues. I melted mine down years ago. I just inherited 2 from my Mom and they’ll also be melted....completely not worth the trouble of wearing, but worth selling the gold, at least. 

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

You should never wear jewelry to bed.  I even take off my wedding rings/diamond.  Stones can get loosen gradually. Over time you can damage them.  My younger sister had a 14K Omega 42 grams.  She fell asleep still wearing it.  She dented it.  So badly it could not be fixed.  She had to resell it to melt down. LOL.  Her boyfriend who gave her the original felt badly too.  He gave her another one.  Needless to say, she no longer wears jewelry to bed.  Anyway, I don't think a lot of people are aware about that.  So Bedtime....no jewelry.

@songbird   I agree about taking off the wedding rings at bedtime. My dd wears her to bed and to work (dental hygienist, but protected by gloves). She’s woken up w/ scratches on her face from the prongs, but still won’t listen to “Mama”. 

Respected Contributor

I wear jewelry 24/7.

I always have several silver bracelets on. Not bangles or cuffs but chain type. I keep tiny diamond studs in my second ear piercings all of the time. I often wear a necklace to bed.

I shower with the silver on. Keeps it clean and tarnish free.

Honored Contributor

I still wear my omega necklace and bracelet.  They are too beautiful to not wear.  I have a nice herringbone that I like to wear especially in the summer.  I'm not wild about the look of it over a top such as a sweater or turtleneck.