Honored Contributor

Re: When did wearing black become the new holiday color?

I recently saw some photos of  "Black and White Wedding" themes ....  very pretty and unique ....  and if the bridesmaids were wearing black, one would assume the guests could, too ....  right?    

Image result for black and white wedding photos

Image result for black and white wedding theme pictures

Image result for black and white wedding theme pictures

Honored Contributor

I have a black long sleeved shirt with a gold and silver Christmas Tree printed on it, and I always feel both jazzy and Christmas-y when I wear it.  😃

Trusted Contributor

Black, particularly velvet, has always been popular for the holidays.  My granddaughters wore black velvet dresses with white tights for their Christmas card picture.  When she was a child, their mother wore something similar on our Christmas card photo.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Ever since I became an adult (50+ years ago) .... a black dress has my holiday uniform.  Actually - it's a uniform for everything!  Black dress / different accessories and I can go anywhere!  I have a few LBDs ... for every season.

Respected Contributor

Wearing black to weddings is totally not inappropriate anymore. It's acceptable to wear black anywhere.  

Honored Contributor

I've often worn black velvet for holiday events.

In this area, black has been acceptable as wedding attire for a long time.

Honored Contributor

All this Christmas stuff is exclusionary enough without making the hosts dress in Christmas colors too! Not everyone that watches celebrates Christmas!
Honored Contributor

@birkin baby wrote:

Wearing black to weddings is totally not inappropriate anymore. It's acceptable to wear black anywhere.  

@birkin baby

That may be a regional thing.  In NYC .. you can go anywhere in black.  

Honored Contributor

I buy more colorful clothing than I once did..but still find myself wearing my basic black pieces most often 

Respected Contributor

I love black! It is a huge staple in my wardrobe along with gray...shoes..boots..jackets etc..I like to matchy match!

Black is worn to weddings all the time these days. I have been to several weddings in the past five years and a lot of ladies were in beautiful black dresses..

My own Mother-of-the Bride dress was actually black and beautiful..and my daughter picked it out and totally approved! It was a fairly nice size wedding and venue.

Mother-of-the-Groom wore deep navy which looked almost like black..as did a lot of guests.

It is only an issue if you make it one.