Honored Contributor

Re: When did wearing black become the new holiday color?

@sunshine45 wrote:

i have A LOT of black in my wardrobe. i find it very chic, always appropriate, and it is the perfect basic canvas for your accessories.....jewelry, scarves, belts, shoes, handbags, hats, tights.....you can make a black outfit very festive if you choose to.

@sunshine45

Ditto ... take a great LBD and accessorize any number of ways!  

Image result for little black dress

Honored Contributor

Isn't it in China that Black is our white? They wear it weddings. And they wear white to funerals?

I tried on black one day, when I never use to wear and thought it looked pretty good on. I probably just was having a good hair and makeup day. My fall purse even has some black in it. It's all in how we interpret it. To each his own.

Esteemed Contributor

It is Halloween for heaven's sakes.  I have plenty of holiday colors in my winter wardrobe which I will start wearing when it becomes the "holiday" season which does not start in October.

Honored Contributor

What still bothers me is most women wearing black to a wedding! Back in the day, black was worn at funerals. I remember my dh's Aunt was the only women at our wedding (38 years ago) that wore head-to-toe black. Everyone was wondering if she knew she was at a joyous wedding. But I do notice that black seems to be the staple nowadays.

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

Are you serious? This is what you are complaining about?

Trusted Contributor

I personally do not consider it to be "holiday Season" until Thanksgiving arrives.  I realize that retailers have accelerated all things "holiday"  to commence in September or even earlier but that hardly qualifies it to be true holidays for the majority of people (imo)  So why anyone should be concerned why the hosts on TV are not wearing what they consider to be holiday colors seems a tad premature.

I love black and the bulk of my wardrobe is comprised of it.  It just has such a smart look, again, imo.  As far as what the hosts choose to wear - black serves many positive features beyond just looking sharp:  it is slimming, plays down flaws and can simplify any professional wardrobe.  I can't fault any of the hosts for electing black as their primary hosting wardrobe for all those reasons and more.

As someone who has attended a great deal of holiday functions for many, many years, I can also attest to the fact that black is the most common color worn by the majority of other guests.  And that has been true since I can remember.  Sure there is the occasional guest who chooses to wear brighter colors but they have definitely been in the minority.  And they are not necessarily holiday colors either - I think most try to choose the colors that flatter them and holiday colors are not flattering for many, myself included.

It never even crossed my mind that hosts should be wearing holiday colors either now (it's Halloween just now) or at any time later on when the holidays are actually here.  They should wear what makes them feel their best, not some "assigned" shades to match decorations.

And it they suggest various colors during a fashion presentation, they are merely offering ideas to those viewers who they think might be on the lookout for specific holiday apparel. Has absolutely nothing to do with what they elect to wear for work.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

I always wear black. *shrugs*

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

What still bothers me is most women wearing black to a wedding! Back in the day, black was worn at funerals. I remember my dh's Aunt was the only women at our wedding (38 years ago) that wore head-to-toe black. Everyone was wondering if she knew she was at a joyous wedding. But I do notice that black seems to be the staple nowadays.

@ID2

Thinking back on the last few weddings I attended, I don't believe "most" women were wearing black .....  not even sure if anyone wore black!  (Men excluded, of course).

Respected Contributor

The rule of only black to funerals really doesn't apply anymore. People pretty much wear what they want as long as it isn't ostentatious and is respectfully subdued. 

Black is felt to be dressier, so IMO black at a wedding isn't at all inappropriate, especially if the invitation says "black tie."