Honored Contributor

Re: When did curvy become a euphimism for plus sized?

@Foxxee wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

Never associated the word curvy with plus size.  Marilyn Monroe was curvy.  

To me it always meant an hourglass figure...someone thin or average weight.  They have very small waists by comparison to their bust and hips.  

@Foxxee 

And some people will still try to tell you that Marilyn Monroe would be a size 16 today.

When all of her clothes tell a very different story as do her measurements.  She's an example of a woman who wouldn't be wearing an off the rack size.

@QueenDanceALot 

I read somewhere she wore sizes 4 to 12 during her lifetime.  She was size 12 during the movie Some Like It Hot.  But, a size 12 then was smaller than a size 12 today.  

During that movie, to me, she did look heavier, but lucky her weight was gained in all the right places.

I have no idea if this is true, but she always looked thin to me.   

@Foxxee 

http://themarilynmonroecollection.com/marilyn-monroe-true-size/

Respected Contributor

When people started calling everyone 'beautiful'. 

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

Never associated the word curvy with plus size.  Marilyn Monroe was curvy.  

To me it always meant an hourglass figure...someone thin or average weight.  They have very small waists by comparison to their bust and hips.  

@Foxxee 

And some people will still try to tell you that Marilyn Monroe would be a size 16 today.

When all of her clothes tell a very different story as do her measurements.  She's an example of a woman who wouldn't be wearing an off the rack size.

@QueenDanceALot 

I read somewhere she wore sizes 4 to 12 during her lifetime.  She was size 12 during the movie Some Like It Hot.  But, a size 12 then was smaller than a size 12 today.  

During that movie, to me, she did look heavier, but lucky her weight was gained in all the right places.

I have no idea if this is true, but she always looked thin to me.   

@Foxxee 

http://themarilynmonroecollection.com/marilyn-monroe-true-size/

@QueenDanceALot 

Very interesting.  Thanks.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Call it whatever you want, but when a clearly obsese woman refers to her 'curves' (instead of her rolls...) she's not fooling anyone, probably including herself... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Well, I guess Mods deleted my comment.  Usually, there's a placeholder left when they do that though.  I think OP @Andreatoo even hearted it.  I'll just say, to me curvy is not about size.  I wear a 6 in jeans, but they are a Curvy Fit. 

Honored Contributor

@ahoymate wrote:

When people started calling everyone 'beautiful'. 

And awarding trophies just for showing up...

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

Well, I guess Mods deleted my comment.  Usually, there's a placeholder left when they do that though.  I think OP @Andreatoo even hearted it.  I'll just say, to me curvy is not about size.  I wear a 6 in jeans, but they are a Curvy Fit. 

@Icegoddess  The place holders increasingly seem to be optional...

Smiley Wink

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Curvy does not mean plus size. Curvy is a woman with curves opposed to a woman with a straight figure. Ann Taylor Loft sells jeans (and pants) in curvy and modern fit. All start at waist size 24-35. Some of us have nice curves while others don't. I wear a curvy size and I'm not in a plus size. Curvy is your physical body shape. Think Marilyn Monroe, J Lo, many others too.

Esteemed Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

Curvy came in use instead of plus size about the same time boots became available in regular and "athletic" calf shafts.  I imagine there are more plus size women or women with heavy legs ordering those boots than athletic women. 

LOL @this is my nic !

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Trusted Contributor

I think that curvy has a different meaning in fashion now so if people are using for a euphamism on shows here it's probably not a good idea. Of course if they are talking about someone who is curvy that's fine.

When I buy jeans there are usually two sets of each style. Curvy and straight or whatever the designer is calling the ones for us chicks with no hips. It's just the cut of the jean or pant and having no hips has nothing to do with weight, it's just a build  I wish they would consider this with tops too. I'd love to wear something fitted that really hung properly. Long shirts that are too wide at the bottom are annoying!