Honored Contributor

Re: When did curvy become a euphimism for plus sized?

Curvy is also this

MV5BMTU2MjcyMDg1OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTgwMzQwMDI@._V1_UY1200_CR135,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

New Contributor

Curvy is designated for those woman who have curves as a feature of their esthetic. Plus models get flack for not being "plus" enough. When you're plus and your not an "extended size" all over...you find categorizing difficult when it comes to being PC.
Respected Contributor

@ILTH wrote:

About a decade ago? 

I hate it. Just call fat fat, thin thin, average average. No judgement or shame in those words. Just accurate descriptions. 

Yes. Thin women can have curves.  Thin women can be straight up-and-down. Fat women can be hourglass. Fat women can have rolls. Thin women can be flabby. Fat women can be taut. And everyone and everything else in between. 

I also dislike Plus-Size. Plus what? It's different than Petite, Regular, Tall (where it's about length and proportions in clothes).  Why a different category for fat women. It's not the 60s(?) when it was a new category and had to (I guess) be distinguished from the other sizes.  I agree -- there's no Minus-Size. Why the segregation, now? 

I think they have to differentiate because a lot of clothing lines stop at a certain size (usually XL). It's more expensive to make clothes in the larger sizes and I imagine the styles vary, so they get their own department or line of clothing. If you go to just about any store, they have always segregated plus size clothing. It was always called the "Women's" department.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

I think there are 3 broad categories for women's shape and they have to do with life phase. There's Juniors, where fat and muscle are evenly distributed. Then there's Post Pregnancy, where placement starts to shift. And then there's Menopausal, where everything shifts even more.

Some women in their 70s could and can and sometimes still do fit best into Juniors proportioned clothes. And some junior-aged kiddos might fit better in Women's clothes. All because of genetics--but the majority wouldn't. To me, a Juniors size 12 should be proportioned very differently than a Women's size 12 and different again than a Mature size 12.

If there could be a mature category without meaning that all the clothes would be designed with embroidered cardinals on them or strange floral prints, that would be a great addition.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Valued Contributor

I do not use the word curvy to describe my body type. I consider myself to be on the Fluffy side Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

When people became so sensitive that using adjectives to describe anyone is risky business.  People are insulted at the slightest provocation.

So society as decided to treat them with kid gloves.

@Imaoldhippie, so what are you suggesting? That we all decide to insult others just because we can? What would be the point in doing that?

Language evolves and so must society. If you want to continue to offend, then go right ahead, but don't get so easily "offended" yourself if people call you out.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Regular Contributor

Aging (2).jpg

Honored Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

When people became so sensitive that using adjectives to describe anyone is risky business.  People are insulted at the slightest provocation.

@Imaoldhippie, so what are you suggesting? That we all decide to insult others just because we can? What would be the point in doing that?

Language evolves and so must society. If you want to continue to offend, then go right ahead, but don't get so easily "offended" yourself if people call you out.

As usual, @JJsMom , I agree, although I think that it's society that evolves and language follows suit.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I couldn't agree more with what you say.  

Honored Contributor

@Tyak wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I couldn't agree more with what you say.  

I don't know. I see plenty of people going around in society insulting others and being insensitive and enjoying it very much. And they socially attract people who also do that. And they socially repell people who don't. I personally don't understand why being unpleasant and disrespectful is so important to them. But it takes all kinds.

I guess it must feel like they are outnumbered, since most people prefer pleasant conversations that don't include a lot of personal, disrespectful digs. And most people, when they find out they said something hurtful, feel surprised for a moment (maybe even briefly defensive), but quickly recalibrate and adjust for the individual in front of them. Maybe lack of social agility is part of the problem when someone stays in defensive mode after saying something that had an unintended negative effect?

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr