Respected Contributor

Re: When did curvy become a euphimism for plus sized?

@Porcelain wrote:

@ZoetheCat wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

When people became so sensitive that using adjectives to describe anyone is risky business.  People are insulted at the slightest provocation.

So society as decided to treat them with kid gloves.

I really don’t understand this attitude.  Would you call someone with a facial birthmark ugly?  Would it be acceptable to call a child with Aspergers or another learning disability stupid?  I never want to use language that might make another person feel bad about themselves. Life is hard enough.  Is it really that difficult to be kind?

I guess I’m guilty of being politically correct and treating people with kid gloves.  

There are some very strange people (not here on this forum) with very far out views who have taken basic human virtues and given them nasty new names such as "political correctness" (being decent and respectful in the way you communicate) and "virtue signaling" (being kind and doing good in public). I find it cynical and repugnant.

I hate seeing people take on and internalize and parrot back the framing that considers it suspect to be a nice friendly human being.

What a beautifully stated post. Bravo @Porcelain !

Trusted Contributor

I agree that 'curvy" can describe any woman with curves instead of a bos body that is more straight in build. 

Let us celebrate and care for ourselves.  Just stay healthy and happy!

Spoiler
Heart
Honored Contributor

Who knows?  I just refer to myself as a prized Texas heifer.  HA! Woman LOL

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

If we have xsmall, xxsmall then it makes sense to have xxlarge, xxxlarge, and xxxxlarge. That is how men's sizing is.

Honored Contributor

@ZoetheCat ..........what attitude?  What would I call someone with a birthmark?  She or he or Mr or Mrs whatever was called for at the time.  I never said it was ok to call anyone stupid.

All of that is what you chose to read into my post.  Please do not twist my words to suit your agenda.  

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Everything that used to be okay to say is suddenly now politically incorrect. 

We don't want to offend anyone!!!!!!

Super Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

@ZoetheCat ..........what attitude?  What would I call someone with a birthmark?  She or he or Mr or Mrs whatever was called for at the time.  I never said it was ok to call anyone stupid.

All of that is what you chose to read into my post.  Please do not twist my words to suit your agenda.  

I truly am not looking to get into an argument with you or anyone else.  The way I read your post, and I could be completely wrong, is that you think people should be free to call someone fat as opposed to curvy.  In my view, and this is just my opinion, that could be as hurtful to someone as saying that they are ugly or stupid.  

To me, being careful with one’s words, so as not to be hurtful, is not treating someone with kid gloves.  It is being a considerate human being.

Honored Contributor

@kivah wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

Everything that used to be okay to say is suddenly now politically incorrect. 

We don't want to offend anyone!!!!!!

@kivah& @ID2 , here's how I see it. In the past, it was okay to throw out slurs and hurtful words with abandon.

I'm glad that there is now public pressure against such words and phrases. Does this mean that I should call a manhole a personhole? Not on my watch.

But such an example is an outlier. Forget them, and just abide by good sense.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Perfect example is Sophia Viegara she is very curvy but no where near a plus size

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

Why is the euphimism necessary?

Cogito ergo sum