Respected Contributor

Re: When did curvy become a euphimism for plus sized?

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I would be interested to know what unpolitically correct statements are just fine and dandy with those who think political correctness has "gone too far"

@QueenDanceALot. It would be calling someone fat. Difference between pc and upc is calling someone fat or calling someone maybe a bit overweight, or plus size, etc.

It’s difference between being rude or having manners.

I'm not PC but I don't call people fat.  I do say overweight.  If someone wants to be offended by the term 'overweight' then so be it.  You can gild the lily only so many ways but when you're overweight, you're overweight and being offended by the term doesn't change the fact that you are.  I'm overweight but I'm not offended by it because it is what it is.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I would be interested to know what unpolitically correct statements are just fine and dandy with those who think political correctness has "gone too far"

@QueenDanceALot. It would be calling someone fat. Difference between pc and upc is calling someone fat or calling someone maybe a bit overweight, or plus size, etc.

@proudlyfromNJ 

Well, sure. But I was curious about those "PC" things beyond the fat/curvy conversation.

Seems that some here have issues with other things "we are not allowed to say anymore because people are too sensitive".

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ 

Well, sure. But I was curious about those "PC" things beyond the fat/curvy conversation.

Seems that some here have issues with other things "we are not allowed to say anymore because of PC police".

@QueenDanceALot  Well, what I say to them is...say whatever you want about anyone or anything. I have never had the ‘PC Police’ come to my door. As a matter of fact, I don’t think they exist at all. Lol.

The only thing I think about when saying something, is how I want to say it. Nicely or mean. And it also depends on how someone has treated me or other people. 

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ 

Seems that some here have issues with other things "we are not allowed to say anymore because of PC police".

@QueenDanceALot  Well, what I say to them is...say whatever you want about anyone or anything. I have never had the ‘PC Police’ come to my door. As a matter of fact, I don’t think they exist at all. Lol.

The only thing I think about when saying something, is how I want to say it. Nicely or mean. And it also depends on how someone has treated me or other people. 

@proudlyfromNJ 

I changed my post to say "some people are too sensitive" than "because of the PC police", even though it amounts to the same thing.

I just want to know what things they say that they think are just fine and dandy and people who are offended should just get over it.  And WHY they think it's O.K.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot  not really sure what you are saying. I will just say I don’t like people always complaining that they can’t say this or that because of pc police. 

There are no pc police, say what you want. 

I don’t agree with calling people fat, calling people,derogatory names, etc etc which can’t be said here.  

I think it goes back to people’s upbringing. That’s where you learn how to treat people.

Honored Contributor

I don't see the point in talking about other people's weight at all. I can say whatever I want to about my own body. But going out of my way to talk about other people's weight seems tacky to me.

People already know whether or not they are happy with their weight. They don't need to hear from me about it. To me, this attitude is much more matter of fact and down to earth than assuming anyone wants to hear my opinions on their body.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@QueenDanceALot  not really sure what you are saying. I will just say I don’t like people always complaining that they can’t say this or that because of pc police. 

There are no pc police, say what you want. 

I don’t agree with calling people fat, calling people,derogatory names, etc etc which can’t be said here.  

I think it goes back to people’s upbringing. That’s where you learn how to treat people.

@proudlyfromNJ 

I don't know how much clearer I can make my question.

I'm moving along now.  It's not likely that anyone will come forward with things they like to say that others find inappropriate and derogatory.

Super Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

When people became so sensitive that using adjectives to describe anyone is risky business.  People are insulted at the slightest provocation.

So society as decided to treat them with kid gloves.

I really don’t understand this attitude.  Would you call someone with a facial birthmark ugly?  Would it be acceptable to call a child with Aspergers or another learning disability stupid?  I never want to use language that might make another person feel bad about themselves. Life is hard enough.  Is it really that difficult to be kind?

I guess I’m guilty of being politically correct and treating people with kid gloves.  

Honored Contributor

@ZoetheCat wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

When people became so sensitive that using adjectives to describe anyone is risky business.  People are insulted at the slightest provocation.

I really don’t understand this attitude.  Would you call someone with a facial birthmark ugly?  Would it be acceptable to call a child with Aspergers or another learning disability stupid?  I never want to use language that might make another person feel bad about themselves. Life is hard enough.  Is it really that difficult to be kind?

I guess I’m guilty of being politically correct and treating people with kid gloves.  

There are some very strange people (not here on this forum) with very far out views who have taken basic human virtues and given them nasty new names such as "political correctness" (being decent and respectful in the way you communicate) and "virtue signaling" (being kind and doing good in public). I find it cynical and repugnant.

I hate seeing people take on and internalize and parrot back the framing that considers it suspect to be a nice friendly human being.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@ZoetheCat wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

There are some very strange people (not here on this forum) with very far out views who have taken basic human virtues and given them nasty new names such as "political correctness" (being decent and respectful in the way you communicate) and "virtue signaling" (being kind and doing good in public). I find it cynical and repugnant.

I hate seeing people take on and internalize and parrot back the framing that considers it suspect to be a nice friendly human being.

@Porcelain, something is wrong with this site because it won't let me give you an unlimited number of hearts. I hope that they fix it pronto.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland