Honored Contributor

Re: When did curvy become a euphimism for plus sized?

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain wrote:

@Tyak wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

When people became so sensitive that using adjectives to describe anyone is risky business.  People are insulted at the slightest provocation.

So society as decided to treat them with kid gloves.

I couldn't agree more with what you say.  

I don't know. I see plenty of people going around in society insulting others and being insensitive and enjoying it very much. And they socially attract people who also do that. And they socially repell people who don't. I personally don't understand why being unpleasant and disrespectful is so important to them. But it takes all kinds.

I guess it must feel like they are outnumbered, since most people prefer pleasant conversations that don't include a lot of personal, disrespectful digs. And most people, when they find out they said something hurtful, feel surprised for a moment (maybe even briefly defensive), but quickly recalibrate and adjust for the individual in front of them. Maybe lack of social agility is part of the problem when someone stays in defensive mode after saying something that had an unintended negative effect?

Ah, but there's the rub, @Porcelain . I think that people who  bemoan PC and would rather be able to make insensitive (or worse) comments tend to make them far removed from any individual who might be affected.

One of the best ways to overcome such tendencies is to get to know individuals and not rely just on the abstract version of them.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain wrote:

@Tyak wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

When people became so sensitive that using adjectives to describe anyone is risky business.  People are insulted at the slightest provocation.

I don't know. I see plenty of people going around in society insulting others and being insensitive and enjoying it very much. And they socially attract people who also do that. And they socially repell people who don't. I personally don't understand why being unpleasant and disrespectful is so important to them. But it takes all kinds.

I guess it must feel like they are outnumbered, since most people prefer pleasant conversations that don't include a lot of personal, disrespectful digs. And most people, when they find out they said something hurtful, feel surprised for a moment (maybe even briefly defensive), but quickly recalibrate and adjust for the individual in front of them. Maybe lack of social agility is part of the problem when someone stays in defensive mode after saying something that had an unintended negative effect?

I've never thought of those who are not PC as being insulting or insensitive.  I view them as being more of a common sense type of person and one who lives in the 'real world' vs. the fantasy land of the extremely PC.

Honored Contributor

@Tyak wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@Tyak wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I've never thought of those who are not PC as being insulting or insensitive.  I view them as being more of a common sense type of person and one who lives in the 'real world' vs. the fantasy land of the extremely PC.

@Tyak, you moved the goalpost.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I would be interested to know what unpolitically correct statements are just fine and dandy with those who think political correctness has "gone too far"

Honored Contributor

Here’s something l find amusing:

There’s a store in my neighborhood called “Big and Tall Men’s Shop.”

Would it be acceptable to have a comparable store called “Big and Tall Women’s Shop”???!!! I don’t think so! Men are OK with being called “big,” but women are “plus size.” It would be nice if women were as comfortable in their own skin as men are...

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I would be interested to know what unpolitically correct statements are just fine and dandy with those who think political correctness has "gone too far"

@QueenDanceALot. It would be calling someone fat. Difference between pc and upc is calling someone fat or calling someone maybe a bit overweight, or plus size, etc.

It’s difference between being rude or having manners.

Honored Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

Here’s something l find amusing:

There’s a store in my neighborhood called “Big and Tall Men’s Shop.”

Would it be acceptable to have a comparable store called “Big and Tall Women’s Shop”???!!! I don’t think so! Men are OK with being called “big,” but women are “plus size.” It would be nice if women were as comfortable in their own skin as men are...

@handygal2, but it was always okay for men to be "big," while women traditionally were to be more delicate in build. Some differences linger.

Honored Contributor

As a 1X, anything is absolutely fine with me except "fat."Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I think it is laughable when curvy refers to a plus size 24 or 26, for example.  You are hardly curvy at that stage but only very overweight.  So whoever started that curvy business for plus size women is doing wishful thinking.  This is not meant to condemn large women.  All women are beautiful but not all women are curvy.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Men's clothing doesn't have a Petites section.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr