Honored Contributor

Re: When did curvy become a euphimism for plus sized?

@Andreatoo wrote:

@stevieb 

Hey stranger! Where have you been?!

Hello there @Andreatoo ... I'm around, spending time mostly in 'home', 'TV' and 'handbags' but I do drop in occasionally...

Woman Happy

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@IamDoodles wrote:

If you have no curves, what are you considered or called, a stick?

SLIM?  SLENDER?

Honored Contributor

@colover 

No it doesn't, at least not my definition, but if you watch the shopping channels it's often used 2 describe larger women.

There's even a couple of comments here where it's being used to describe the overweight.

The irony is that the Q is lacking in truly curvy models!

Trusted Contributor

@ahoymate  Best answer so far...

Honored Contributor

I don't watch shopping channels anymore but when I did, the only host that said she was "curvy" was Antonella.

I am familiar with the term used in retail because I shop at Banana Republic. They have been using the term "curvy " for one type of trousers they sell for years now. I am straight up and down so have always worn Ryan. Curvy girls like my daughter (who is very slim) also have a style named for them. It is called Sloan and it is a curvy skinny fit. Narrow in the waist and fuller in the hips.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11    I could have written your last post.  I have a straight type of body, too. 

my daughter got the curves, but on a size 2 frame. 

Valued Contributor

We always called them Large and Lovely or L&L for short.  It is what it is.

There is no fun in doing nothing when you have nothing to do.
Honored Contributor

I certainly wasn't curvy when I was morbidly obese. I was shaped like a cylinder with a lump or two, not a curve, here and there, narrowing slightly, but not much, from my knees to my ankles.

When you weigh double or more what your body should be carrying, a euphemism isn't worth the breath it takes to say it.

Honored Contributor

@manny2 wrote:

I think it is just a kind word for over weight. We need to stop putting labels on people period. 

Yes indeed! No one has to tell a morbidly obese women she is some adorable word. Every time she moves, she is fully aware of who she is and no cute word, or actually. O "mean" word changes that.

I never objected to being called ""fat" because I was "fat", but I have no tolerance for coyness. 

I lost a dearly cherished relative to the ultimate effects of morbid obesity, though, and I learned from that the best thing to say about any body size is no "word"at all.

Contributor

I've always been a little put off when people say "real women have curves." I am definitely a real woman, but have always been shaped straight up and down like a ruler. Nothing I can do about that.